Second Thoughts About Rebreather Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

55M/180’ to the sand at its deepest. The deck of the Saratoga is ~30M and 50M to the sand, but it is the shallowest.
I see.
Too deep for a standard almost-rec air diving with some deco, the bottom time would be too short.
These are technical dives, requiring at least two different mixtures, one for bottom (which could perhaps still be air), and one for deco, at high O2 percentage for shortening the wait time.
But at 55m narcosis can be dangerous, so normoxic trimix is better; unfortunately it is very expensive.
I see now why you are evaluating a rebreather.
In know people here in Italy who make routinely this sort of dives, down to 60m, in OC, with air at bottom and nitrox-50 for deco, but frankly this is not for me.

It's divine. Quiet, and surreal.

I get the concern though, it's been a pretty bad year for CCR'ing. There seem to have been a good number of fatalities on modern units, and the cause is often never published public (or known.)
I didnt think 2019 was any worse than any other year. But haven't tried to tally anything up

I didnt think 2019 was any worse than any other year. But haven't tried to tally anything up
Yes, it looks like 2019 was quite light on for reported incidents at least with what has been published to date, looking up DLs tracking of rebreather fatalities Deep Life Design Team: databases and analysis of rebreather accident data

Gives roughly:
2019 = 22 but DL are missing at least 1, so 23 plus
2018 = 26
2017 = 34
2016 = 36
2015 = 26
2014 = 34
2013 = 34
2012 = 33
2011 = 30
2010 = 27
2009 = 26
but every year no matter the number it's still too many.....

I assume number of active rebreather divers is still growing without number of fatalities increasing much. That would mean something positive is happening with safety.

36, 34, 26, 23
Looks like the numbers are going down by my sesame street counting skills.
And I am sure the number of rebreathers and divers are going up.

Bikini can be done on air and deco mix. Yes max depth is 54 m but you are very seldom below 50m and most of the diving is around 48. Penetrations on Sara range from 34m to 46m. Most of the wrecks you can cruise around at 48m and see most everything. If you are dead set against a rebreather then get lots of practice on air at the 45m level. Remember Bikini is warm, clear and still, so best possible conditions.

After you get used to your RB, do a few dives without changing the scrubber so you get a chance to learn how the start of a CO2 hit feels, and how to bailout before the CO2 hit is so bad that you don't have the time to switch to OC. Learn to listen to your body and what it's trying to tell you.

You can also put one bullet in the chamber of a revolver and click the trigger a couple of times so you know what it sounds like. If that sounds stupid, good because it's no stupider than your comment.
Whatever you do don't follow this idiotic advice. CO2 poisoning can come on so suddenly and be so debilitating you won't know you're in trouble until it's too late.
I am surprised at you michael-fisch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom