Would anyone like to dive Devil's Throat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1st part is about 45 seconds swimthough than followed by about 90 seconds in a valley followed by about another 90 seconds of more confined swimthrough.

I will not do it again because I always get stuck behind a down finner that stirs up the bottom. I just meet them at the wall exit.

This year we had someone's 1st stage close down during a swimthrough and they had to do an emergency accent. If it happened here it may not have turned out so well.

I just meet them at the wall exit.
It's a logbook dive for Cozumel. Many feel that they have to do it once. I've done it twice but now won't. I'd meet them at the exit.

This year we had someone's 1st stage close down during a swimthrough and they had to do an emergency accent.
Why didn't s/he share air with a buddy?

Why didn't s/he share air with a buddy?
He was doing a swimthough with DM, we were bubble watching on the wall. i guess he was too far from DM and saw daylight and went for it.

We ask the same question, he made the decision go to surface vs go deeper into a swimthrough and try and catch up to DM.

We limit our Swim throughs since we been there and got our tshirt. Better things to see in the daylight

How long is Devil's throat? Not to sound like a nervous nelly, but where is the line between a 'swim through' and a cave? I've done swim throughs on the one trip I went to Cozumel, and to be honest, I don't think I'd do some of them again unless with divers that I knew and trusted in the entire group (not insta buddies). This is more a question of curiosity, nothing more.

I appreciate your curiosity! Let's set the question of swim through vs cave aside for a moment. Since we are in the Cozumel forum and discussing a very specific dive-- There are many variables in this scenario--
If you really want to know if this particular dive is for you, consider these things:

1. It will dump you out at 135 feet deep (potentially very narced) and into the open and deep blue where you could easily descend deeper, if not paying attention.
2. If done in reverse, you will be descending and then starting the ascent at 135 feet deep (minimum) and ascending upward. (Buoyancy control imperative).
3. Size of group and where you are in the group may also impact narcosis.
4. The dive actually spirals upward or downward; depending on which way you begin.
4a) It is not a straight descent or ascent.
5. Once descending or ascending in a group of considerable size at this depth, you are committed and pretty much relying on everyone to have all their **** in order.
6. And there are no immediate bail out or straight up ascents in the case of an issue or emergency.
7. And even if your dive buddies are as competent as you think they are, or you think you are; you need to hope there are no issues with anyone.
8. Margin for error is small given the depths and the # of people doing it.

Good for you that you are asking questions; And no one should take this dive lightly and you should be appropriately informed and trained.

There are piles of Devils Throat videos on Youtube posted by divers... Watch them and decide if it's a dive you want to do. Personally, I've no need to dive it myself and I never have after 17 years of visiting coz. I've seen Devils Throat at the expense of others on Youtube. There are many other sites I'd prefer to dive and doing a dive just to say "Been there done that" comes at the expense of other perhaps better sites to dive. Just like the Blue Hole in Belize... Didn't dive that either based on recommendations that there were far better dives to be had if you were taking full day long range 3-dive trips.

It's definetly a to each their own dive - it's more than a simple swim thru, there's areas where you can't see out.

Buoyancy, air consumption, fining techniques, being able to clear your ears and comfort in a confined area - all things you need. I have to believe dive shops don't take just anyone there.

If you've been there before, ask your DM to show you the other ways around there - it's definetly a watch your NDL dive if you don't budget your depth before and after the cave - with 32% you'll be above a PO2 of 1.4 at the deep exit (I come out the deep exit at 125', if you stay low you'll see 135').

I like it - I like the cave portions - I like the descent down to the large formations - the view from inside to the crisp blue outside - the view when you exit deep - it's all about the view.....

If you want similar with less stress, Palancar is just as good with less stress and certainly a longer dive for most. All the diving here is fantastic, spend a month here, dive from Islote to Barracuda, see it all but first and foremost, be safe!

I personally like Diving theDevils throat, but if you are nervous about being closed in or don’t have very good bouancy control and very good air consumption, you should probably pass. You will come out at 130’ and probably be in Deco or close to it.

I have done it three times and each way was different. The first time we exited right after going through the throat and the max depth was 113'. The other two times we continued to the left after the throat and my depth was 117' and 126'. The 117' depth was because I stayed higher off the bottom. For me the best part of the dive is when you exit off the wall. I have never requested to go on this dive but don't mind it if someone else on the boat really wants to. I think the reef over it is a much better dive, plus this time of year is good to see eagle rays off the wall.

I have done it three times and each way was different. The first time we exited right after going through the throat and the max depth was 113'. The other two times we continued to the left after the throat and my depth was 117' and 126'. The 117' depth was because I stayed higher off the bottom. For me the best part of the dive is when you exit off the wall. I have never requested to go on this dive but don't mind it if someone else on the boat really wants to. I think the reef over it is a much better dive, plus this time of year is good to see eagle rays off the wall.
I loved gliding through that blue hole at the bottom and out over the edge.

Just for thew record, the Devil's Throat is the reason that Aldora Divers exist, and why they use 120 cf HP tanks. Back in 92 it was almost impossible to get a trip there without a private charter and then it was hard to find. It took me 5 trips in oder to finally get down the Throat the as the drop had to be perfect. As I remember one of the first 4 attempts I did get to the cavern above the Throat but I was at 500 psi so could not go down-- that was the impetus for hp 120 tanks.

Anyone who says that you must exit at 120 ft or more does not really know the dive as you get to pick the exit at 113 or deeper. But yes, many will get narc'd but many more will enjoy it. Also it is best to take no more than 6 divers in the group.

The Throat is not straight down, but slants about 45 degrees to the wall. On entering there is about 10 feet of total blackness, and you can use a flashlight if you want (I prefer black) then the beautiful blue of the deep is amazing (especially with the narc).

On the other hand, if you dive it with a poor drop point, and an aluminum 80 or large groups—that can be a problem. For me and many others, coming out on the wall with 3000+ PSI is comforting using HP 120s. Then with plenty of air and no deco time (on our Oceanic computers) you can enjoy multiple other gorgeous features…and then head across the sand to some shallow coral heads, which are seldom seen, to off gas. All of this can be done while getting no closer to deco mode than 5 minutes. Ultra conservative computers may show you in deco but if you have one you are probably used to that! Keeping in mind that the duration of deep is only about 30 seconds and total time is normally about 1 hour.

I have personally led scores of groups on this dive and never had a problem, DCS or otherwise. My guess is that those who don't like it have never done it as described above, or just don't like swim throughs at all.

BTW, when I finally found it in 92, I marked the spot with GPS virtually eliminating bad drops in the future. Indeed now the time to get to the Throat opening at 90 ft is about one minute.

AS for leading the dive, the DM should, and does wait at the exit to make sure no one goes too deep.

Enjoy

Dave Dillehay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom