65+ Grumpy Old Divers (or NOT Grumpy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only fairly recently started going there on the ferry and walking up/down the steps--I used to have a boat and just tied to one of the buoys. They also have a diving history museum that contains gear which is newer that some of the stuff I'm still using :wink:

Very, very fun thread to read. Turning 65 in May and been diving for 28 years. I've been an instructor for 11 years. I would be much more grumpy if I wasn't an instructor. Only truly grumpy when someone asks me lots of equipment questions in class, stops by the shop and tries stuff on then buys it on the internet. :mad: Working with YPs (young people) has allowed me to not be quite as grumpy with them...or anyone else while training. Because I'm paid with store credit, lots of new equipment. Hand me downs go to my spouse who is a tad over 65 and been diving 28 years as well. My true dive buddy. I am inspired by divers I've met in their 70s and even early 80s. Just let that be me and I'll be a happy camper.

Rob

I turned 73 last week, during which I did 27 dives off the Aggressor boat in Turks and Caicos. The only thing that made me grumpy was the cold I got at the end of the trip.

73 (female). Been diving for almost 40 years. Just got back from Alor and Amed. Off to Dumaguette and Anilao in Feb. My next door neighbor is 8 years older than I am and she is in Little Cayman right now.

Not grumpy as long as I can dive. And I've finally rotated my old gear (except my fins). Had a Lloyd Bridges face mask until I retired it about 5 years ago. I remember horse collars.

Am 66 now. Just Grumpy because my usual 7 week summer in NY is not gunna happen. The Concert Band I play in will be cancelled. Also, I won't get to my usual shore sites in the area (mostly Connecticut) as well. Not that they're great sites, but I will get bored doing the same sites all summer here in Nova Scotia. Hope 2021 brings a better summer.

I'm grumpy because Bonaire is closed. I have reservations for three weeks there in August and September, but I think it's not going to happen.

We were supposed to fly, yesterday, to Puerto Rico (our fourth trip in the last ten years) to celebrate my birthday (70 in March) and my retirement (end of April). Today, we were supposed to be on a puddle jumper to Culebra to dive for three days.

And then the crap hit the rotating air-moving device!

Should I be grumpy?

I'm grumpy because Bonaire is closed. I have reservations for three weeks there in August and September, but I think it's not going to happen.

We were supposed to be on Cozumel from April 11 to May 12. That's bad enough but we can't even hug our grandkids when we see them! I guess I'm a little grumpy. I've been finding something or other to test in the pool almost daily so at least I'm getting enough compressed air so i don't go into withdrawals. Today I tested my new, home-made watch-band capillary depth gauge. It started out as a silly project, more of a joke than anything, but I actually got it to where it's fairly easy to read and it's only the size of a quarter. It did discover that my old Calypso regulator needs to be adjusted about 1/16 of a turn in order to be perfect so that will keep me busy for a few minutes. I recently bought my first double-hose and I'm beginning to understand how it's put together and how it's like a single-hose and how it's not. It's a DAAM so after I play with it for a while then I can start upgrading it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom