Drysuit Question - Why don't you.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shore diving would just clog them up.

Get some friends who dive a DS, go out into the ocean in shallow water, drop a spool and a bag and practice ascents and descents down a line. You will be amazed at what you learn when you dedicate time to practice and not try to fit it into a dive. Go out with the intent to sharpen / learn skills, and you will.

We've taken many, many divers out in their new Dry Suits... up and down, up and down. Turn them into Macy's TG Parade Balloons and work on arresting an ascent and recovering. Its fun. Buy them breakfast afterwards and you'll have dive buddies for life.

Practice is the shortcut to skills. There is no shortcut to experience.

- K

This thread has really turned into a bunch of warm and fuzzies. Thanks, all.

Why not install release valves at the bottoms of the suit legs? Wouldn't this alleviate the problem? I understand the sensitivity can be adjusted on the valves so these could be set a little stiff, no?

Someone must have some thoughts / opinions about this. I mean, c'mon, it's ScubaBoard.

This video at 1:49 shows what you are talking about:

So ankle valves can be installed, if needed, but for most the hassle outweighs the perceived benefit.

Why not install release valves at the bottoms of the suit legs? Wouldn't this alleviate the problem? I understand the sensitivity can be adjusted on the valves so these could be set a little stiff, no?

Someone must have some thoughts / opinions about this. I mean, c'mon, it's ScubaBoard.

added failure point for not much benefit. already enough failure points to cause drysuit leaks, don't need to add more.

I am often a bit foot heavy and intentionally get some air in my feet to level out my trim. Ankle valves would but let me do this.

Seeker pretty much covered it. A properly fitted suit and proper weighting will go a long way toward never having the problem, training/practice will matter.
I second this thought. When I did my dry suit training I was in a rental suit that didn’t fit right. Plus I was over weighted. It made it really hard.

enjoy the last training dive, the one where you have to flood your suit, it sucks. I was in 48* water.

What?! I didn't have to do it in my training!

lucky you. I took an SSI course and the last thing we had to do was paternally flood the suit, ascend, make the safety stop and surface.

the last thing we had to do was paternally flood the suit
You had to have your father flood your suit?!?!!!
(Don't you just love auto-complete?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom