New to site & working on master diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My .02 is to do specialties you will actually use such as the Emergency 02, drysuit, dsmb deployment, nitrox, adaptable diver, or maybe even the photography. I have my deep diver but that was totally by accident and the shop only charged me the PADI fee so, meh, whatever. There are so many useless specialties that they just end up being money makers for the certification agency and are completely useless in the real world.

Oh, and don't put the patch anywhere visible.

In my opinion these PADI specialties give the most value:

1) Nitrox (allows using nitrox fills, also is a basis for all further tech training)
2) Deep - allows you to dive in 40 m depth (e.g. some Liveaboards require this specialty is wrecks are deeper than 30 m)
3) Search & recover - I got many new skills, learned various search patterns, got various knots tieing skills.
4) Wreck - gives a very basic knowledge about wreck penetration. AFter thos specialty you can see whether you like wreck penetration (and train further) or not.
5) Navigation

Other skills you can learn by diving and there is no need to pay money to PADI for cards.

Agree completely. Except for the patch. I put mine on a ball cap to be worn anywhere there are no divers. Campground: "you're not really a Master Scuba Diver are ya?" "Why, yes, I am".

I find it works best in the bar, to pick up chicks :cheers:

So glad not to see MSD bashing on this thread.

There are a ton of great resources on the board for taking your photography to the next level. Sometimes they conflict, or it's not easy to isolate the piece of information you need. If you want a great place to start, I recommend watching the series of videos by Brent Durand (Brent Durand) (@2ndjetty) . I have no affiliation with Brent, I just like his no-nonsense, straightforward approach to explaining U/W photography concepts and procedures.

Yes, I too am pleased to see no MSD bashing, or comparisons to the NAUI MSD. I do think there would be a whole lot less bashing if the 5 specialties had to be ones that improve diver safety and/or ability.
There are quite a few that are about other areas--like fish ID. I would not include UW photography or videography. Some will say you really have to have great buoyancy control to do this and the course helps a lot, but you're supposed to have great buoyancy control anyway.

I’ve completed the nitrox and deep diver courses. Didn’t get much out of the latter since I already have a fair amount of 130 FSW dives logged. Looking at the dry suit, equipment specialty and emergency O2 courses at this time to finish up the MSD certificate.

i would skip the equipment specialty in favor of a regulator repair class from Hog/deep 6 instead. drysuit also is only worth it if you plan on needing the card for renting a drysuit occasionally or if the shop is throwing it in for free packaged with selling you a drysuit.

Welcome

I should have finished the MSD years ago while the curriculum would present a challenge. The rescue diver course I took earlier this year did just that. I had really sadistic instructors who pushed me physically and mentally and I thanked them for doing so.

i would skip the equipment specialty in favor of a regulator repair class from Hog/deep 6 instead. drysuit also is only worth it if you plan on needing the card for renting a drysuit occasionally or if the shop is throwing it in for free packaged with selling you a drysuit.

Is Hog/Deep 6 a dive shop, and if so, where is it? I'm open to taking a reg repair class but need to find out where in my area its offered. I can travel down to Texas and elsewhere to take the course if necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom