Steel LP85 doubles way too negative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, I just started diving doubles after taking an Intro to Tech class, and I am using LP85s. I think I probably made a mistake buying those. They seem to be way too negative, and even though I can get neutral by pumping a ton of air into the wing, I don't think that's the way to go.

Just to put my buoyancy in context, I carry 10lbs of weight on a 7mm suit diving a single aluminum 80. During class, they really advocated all the advantages of the LP85 so I thought it was the way to go. Right now after trying them out extensively it just feels uncomfortable and I want to try to become more balanced.

I am now thinking about switching to Al80 doubles, and probably also switch to a steel backplate.

Is that the way to go? Or is there anything else I can do and still use the LP85s?

So, I just started diving doubles after taking an Intro to Tech class, and I am using LP85s. I think I probably made a mistake buying those. They seem to be way too negative, and even though I can get neutral by pumping a ton of air into the wing, I don't think that's the way to go.

Just to put my buoyancy in context, I carry 10lbs of weight on a 7mm suit diving a single aluminum 80. During class, they really advocated all the advantages of the LP85 so I thought it was the way to go. Right now after trying them out extensively it just feels uncomfortable and I want to try to become more balanced.

I am now thinking about switching to Al80 doubles, and probably also switch to a steel backplate.

Is that the way to go? Or is there anything else I can do and still use the LP85s?

If you’re that negative the answer is likely a drysuit or switch to AL80s. Should you elect to progress after getting AL80s, those can later be turned into stage/deco bottles.

EDIT: pre coffee typos

@Antonio Neves which brand if 85's? There is a very big difference between pst, worthington, and faber. Also remember that in the beginning of the dive, you're going to have 3x as much air in the wing as you would with an AL80 because there is 3x as much gas *assuming cave filled, 2x if not, but if you aren't cave filling them then you bought the wrong tanks*. Do a proper weight check with the tanks at the end of the dive. If you're more than about 4lbs negative with the tanks empty, then they're too heavy for you, but don't base it on how it feels at the beginning of the dive.
LP85's should be about 10lbs or so negative when empty, so that should be a 1:1 swap for your weight belt

LP85's are the bomb for doubles. And they make terrible deco bottles. My guess is, your rig isn't right, too small of a wing or wrong plate or you are still wearing lead

What are your buoyancy checks showing you? Do you need the 10 pounds of lead? In a 5mm I don’t use any extra weight. I use around 10 pounds with my drysuit. I don’t find 85s overly negative at all, even with a wetsuit. Especially a 7mm. But tanks are all different, as are people. Mine are the new galvanized Fabers. What are yours?

I suspect you may be overweighted, but I can’t be certain. Why didn’t your instructor cover all of this with you? This should have been the first thing you did in the pool. Checking buoyancy when empty AND seeing if your rig is balanced (swim it up from depth full and with no deco bottles). I’d call them back and ask to have them help you balance your rig.

@Antonio Neves which brand if 85's? There is a very big difference between pst, worthington, and faber. Also remember that in the beginning of the dive, you're going to have 3x as much air in the wing as you would with an AL80 because there is 3x as much gas *assuming cave filled, 2x if not, but if you aren't cave filling them then you bought the wrong tanks*. Do a proper weight check with the tanks at the end of the dive. If you're more than about 4lbs negative with the tanks empty, then they're too heavy for you, but don't base it on how it feels at the beginning of the dive.
LP85's should be about 10lbs or so negative when empty, so that should be a 1:1 swap for your weight belt

It's Faber.

LP85's are the bomb for doubles. And they make terrible deco bottles. My guess is, your rig isn't right, too small of a wing or wrong plate or you are still wearing lead

Not wearing any lead. I was referring to the amount of weight I used with a single aluminum tank. I'm 5'10" 180lbs, and my body is somewhat neutrally buoyant.

@Antonio Neves you're probably a couple of pounds heavier than you're used to, but nothing egregious. Try a weight check when empty and see if you still have the same feelings. Double 80's with a 7mm is going to mean added lead, even with a steel plate though

Antonio: Can you describe for the group what you are wearing (wetsuit, plate type, wing type) so we can help you out? I have 4 LP85s. I agree with @tbone1004 about the AL80s.

Like others I dive LP85s (w/steel backplate) and they are perfect for my open water diving. Though I dive them with a drysuit and ~40lbs wing. I can remember my first dives with doubles and feeling like I was going to rollover (going turtle). I bet the OP is experiencing that feeling.

That said I am not sure I would want to dive them in a wetsuit because of the compression at depth without having a good backup. Al80 might be a better choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom