Is this a Nudibranch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportyluis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I just got back from Hawaii where my wife and I did a lot of snorkeling. On one of swims I found this small white slug and tried to photograph it with my old compact camera. I didn't get a good shot and couldn't get close enough without touching / impacting the coral so the best I could do are these cropped photos. It initially looked to me as a Nudibranch, however the size was bigger than the ones I've seen in the past.

Here are the relevant details:
Size: ~2-3 inches?

If this is a Nudibranch, what kind is it?

Attachments

• nudibranchIMG_2065.jpg
    nudibranchIMG_2065.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 167
  • nudibranchIMG_2064.jpg
    nudibranchIMG_2064.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 176
  • nudibranchIMG_2065.jpg
    nudibranchIMG_2065.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 160
2-3 inches (5-7.5 cm) is fairly big for a nudi, but far from unreasonably so. There are nudis a lot bigger than that.

Given how the critter looks in your pics, it's hard to imagine it being anything else.

Believe that is an Imperial Nudibranch

They often are two together appearing longer than they individually are

Imperial-Nudibranch-300x212.jpg

Certainly looks like a pair of what was known as Risbecia imperialis before they were renamed.

Known location is Hawaii.

Thanks for the responses! I like nudibranchs and had only ever seen really small ones before! I didn’t know they travelled in twos and perhaps that’s why it looked bigger.

Yup.
That’s a nudibranch.

Hope that answers the question. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom