Dive Computer wrist mount or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ONLY reason I carry a console is because my presbyopia requires a very big display for me to see it. But I'm exploring workarounds, like corrective inserts for part of the field of vision in my mask.

I find wrist mounted computers somewhat annoying when getting in and out of wetsuits and BCDs 4 or 5 times a day. My old Suunto Favor has a nice hose-mount that is removable for cleaning / whatever, that's my favourite mount (no pun intended) so far. My zoop novo is in a bungee mount attached to my BCD.

Wrist mount for me.

When ascending/safety stop with dsmb reel in left hand the computer is conveniently placed.

Some folks clip the console across their chest. Easier to see but personally I'd rather not have it crossing over.

Air integrated consoles seem to be cheaper than air integrated wrist computers with transmitters, as a general observation.

I’ve had 3 different computers since buying my first one. Before that, it was tables. All have been air integrated, though I realize that you don’t necessarily want that.

First was a console mount. The next two have been wrist mounts. I much prefer wrist, though it is pretty much a personal choice. I spearfish, so like to keep my hands free, but others who spearfish prefer console for when they need to dig a fish out of a hole.

There are a couple of cons to a wrist mount.
1. You have information in two different places. Not a major issue though, as you don’t necessarily need the different sources at the same time.
2. The straps that come with most wrist mount DCs suck. They are generally a rubber depth compensated watch band. Failure of either pin, or the strap itself means no computer. I’ve nearly lost one like this. Independent bungee straps are a better option. Or if that is not an option, a NATO or ZULU strap will at least retain the DC in the event of pin failure, and a fabric strap will likely show signs of wear before failure.

Absent minded divers tend to forget to bring or where they had left their computer.
Left alone computer tends to attract sticky fingers.

As a new (and new again) diver I started with my computer in a console. It wasn't a bad thing when I was first learning. You've got pressure and computer in one place, only one thing to remember to look at. Lower task loading for beginning divers. It made packing for trips and dives easier, if I had my regulator, I had my computer.

As I progressed, the large console became a problem and I streamlined things - moved the computer into a bungee wrist mount and swapped for a brass and glass gauge that was easier for these old eyes to read.

I could have started with a wrist mount, probably. But the progression from console to wrist was easy enough. I'd say let it come down to personal preference. You may change your mind over time going one way or the other.

I will say that it mattered a little bit on ascents, if the computer is coming off the left side (where a pressure gauge would normally be), then it can be a stretch to hold that in the right hand (leaving the left for managing the inflator/dump). I've seen consoles on both the right and left side, don't remember which is more common.

I'm happier now with my computer on my right wrist, leaving my left hand free to do other things.

DIR (Doing it right) has the answer:

Bottom-timer/computer need to be viewable at all times, particularly during ascent and decompression. They are wrist-mounted on the right arm with bungee, to allow monitoring while buoyancy is being controlled using the left hand to operate the inflator hose and dump valves on the left.

They should not be mounted on a bulky console and dragged behind the diver, as this could damage the environment on contact, or increase the risk of entanglement, and require retrieval of the console every time the depth is to be checked.

The compass is mounted on the wrist, as the alternative mounting on a retractor or on a console are considered more likely to snag or drag on the bottom, thereby potentially damaging delicate structures and organisms. It is worn on the left.

The pressure gauge must be neatly clipped off where it cannot snag or cause unnecessary drag. This implies a hose just long enough to reach the waist belt D-ring on the left hip, where it is clipped, and no additional instruments in a console to increase bulk. The gauge is read by unclipping with the left hand, and bringing it up to where it can be read without disturbing the trim and progress of the diver.

Doing It Right (scuba diving) - Wikipedia
Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

Hello
I will be purchasing a dive computer prior to diving come spring. I am looking at either a console or a wrist mount (no transmitter) and pressure gauge with compass attached. I was wondering if my fellow diver could list the pros and cons of each to help me decide.

Thanks

I bought my first computer in 1990. It was a wrist mount. I now own 5 computers. 4 are wrist mounts AI and one is console AI. I keep the console in my dive bag. For what reason I have no clue. Obviously I prefer wrist mounts.
As far a Doing It Right goes, whatever works best for YOU (within reason) is RIGHT.

Cheers - M²

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom