options for LOB in December 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRM-TX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone. Planning for a LOB trip to (probably) Indonesia in December 2020. Solo trip. Lots of experts here, appreciate any recommendations, advice or comments.

Main objective is quality of underwater diving (schools of fish, corals, good vis, some big stuff, critters, interesting sites). Will spend more for better diving. This also applies to topside dive logistics (dive deck, tenders, guides, group size, etc). If the diving is great but food & room so-so, it's still a great trip. But not vice-versa; can go to the Carribean for mediocre diving & great food.

Here are the 9 longer trip options (mostly Raja Ampat) which fit my schedule. Focus is on 10+ nights, 25+ dives, Nitrox, etc. Six boats dive RA only, 1 boat does RA+Triton, 1 to Komodo+Sangeang, 1 in Palau. Current order of interest:

* Solititude Adventurer (catamaran), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$4800, ~28 dives (other site says 35 dives), 18 px.

* Mari (phinisi), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$4300, ~35 dives, 14 px. More dives, lower cost. Better deal?

* Gaia Love (steel boat), 11 nts, RA+Triton, Sorong-Kaimana, ~$6600, ~30 dives, 20 px. Is this itinerary (Triton Bay) worth the extra cost?

* Ambai (phinisi), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$4700, ~34 dives, 16 px.

* Adelaar (phinisi), 10 nts, KOMODO & Sangeang, LBJ-LBJ, ~$5000, ~28 dives, 8 px. Komodo vs Raja Ampat?

* Coralia (phinisi), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$5700, ~29 dives, total px not listed, 8 cabins.

* Amira (phinisi), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$5000, ~30 dives.

.... and for something DIFFERENT - have been to Indonesia several times, but never Palau.
* Solititude One (52m steel boat), 11 nts, PALAU, $5000, ~35 dives, total px not shown.

I am also looking for a trip around that time but will be based on Homestay only.
Budget is US$150.00 per day all inclusive(full board +3 dives a day). Flight and transfer are extra.

Have you considered the Damai in RA? Doesn't look like budget is too much of a problem.

Hello everyone. Planning for a LOB trip to (probably) Indonesia in December 2020. Solo trip. Lots of experts here, appreciate any recommendations, advice or comments.

Main objective is quality of underwater diving (schools of fish, corals, good vis, some big stuff, critters, interesting sites). Will spend more for better diving. This also applies to topside dive logistics (dive deck, tenders, guides, group size, etc). If the diving is great but food & room so-so, it's still a great trip. But not vice-versa; can go to the Carribean for mediocre diving & great food.

Here are the 9 longer trip options (mostly Raja Ampat) which fit my schedule. Focus is on 10+ nights, 25+ dives, Nitrox, etc. Six boats dive RA only, 1 boat does RA+Triton, 1 to Komodo+Sangeang, 1 in Palau. Current order of interest:

* Solititude Adventurer (catamaran), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$4800, ~28 dives (other site says 35 dives), 18 px.

* Mari (phinisi), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$4300, ~35 dives, 14 px. More dives, lower cost. Better deal?

* Gaia Love (steel boat), 11 nts, RA+Triton, Sorong-Kaimana, ~$6600, ~30 dives, 20 px. Is this itinerary (Triton Bay) worth the extra cost?

* Ambai (phinisi), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$4700, ~34 dives, 16 px.

* Adelaar (phinisi), 10 nts, KOMODO & Sangeang, LBJ-LBJ, ~$5000, ~28 dives, 8 px. Komodo vs Raja Ampat?

* Coralia (phinisi), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$5700, ~29 dives, total px not listed, 8 cabins.

* Amira (phinisi), 11 nts, RA, Sorong-Sorong, ~$5000, ~30 dives.

.... and for something DIFFERENT - have been to Indonesia several times, but never Palau.
* Solititude One (52m steel boat), 11 nts, PALAU, $5000, ~35 dives, total px not shown.

Check out Blue Manta for Raja Ampat, large excellent boat and and only a 10% single supplement for same size double room. I went on the boat in Komodo in August and loved it so booked same room for RA Dec 24th 2020. Crew of 22 and service is amazing, they take care of everything, rinse and dry wetsuits in btwn dives and do laundry on board for cheap.

I agree with Blue Manta, but he is looking for 10+ night trip.

I saw that but I think the single supplement is a huge bonus.

I heard good things about Ambai.

I’ll be in RA on Amira in 2 weeks. So, I’ll post my review of the trip here afterwards.

Hi! I've been to Raja 2X (returning for 3rd and 4th time in 2020!) and Komodo 2X and I have some thoughts for you to digest. I have some good dive friends that have dived Palau and Raja and they both liked Raja more. They would return to Raja but they would not return to Palau. They don't regret going to Palau, but if you are interested in diving it, it sounds like you should dive it first. Ditto Komodo.

The same friends have been on the Amira and loved it. I also have heard great things about Gaia Love but consider this: Raja is not "remote" or difficult to access compared to Soccoro, Galapagos, or Cocos Island, so the price premium here is not necessary unless you really want to spend the extra money. You can't go wrong with any of the options you've listed and they will all be very comfortable and have similar amenities, staff/pax ratios, but I suggest you save money and apply it to a place that has less options and/or has more expensive options only in general. As an alternative, that premium between the higher prices and others you've listed can also be a week of excellent diving with private round trip transfers elsewhere, all inclusive, with nitrox, 4-5 dives a day - like in the Philippines. You can tack it on before/after, or it can be a separate trip. More diving! :)

If you really want to see as much of RA as possible in one swoop, I suggest doing just RA instead of a blended itinerary. The fact that you are aiming for the 10-12 day itineraries means you will see as much as you can. (That is one of the regrets I had; I did a 7 day only so I returned for an 11 day after!)

One other detail you may want to ask each of the boats that are pretty close in price are what their dive policies are relating to surfacing with buddy groups or entire groups pending conditions permitting when people are low on air, etc. and how long each dive can be during the day and night. I have been on some liveaboards in Indo where day dives are max 70 minutes and night dives max 60, though we often ended up doing 80 minute dives if everyone had air and if it didn't affect travel. Most other boats are 60 during day, 45-50 for night. Essentially, these are two things that will affect your total time underwater and the latter, dive times, can substantially add a lot of dive times even though dive counts are about the same.

Let us know what you decide!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom