Excess baggage costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airasia charged me about 40-50 USD for 3 KG of excess baggage from Kuala Lumpur>Denpassar. On my trip back, i was over by 2 kilos. Less than 10 USD .

Just paid $55 for 25kilo on lion air from MDC to Sorong-non stop. Ticket was $77.
Still cheaper than the Garuda flight with one stop for $540.

Love internal Indo flights! ha.

I tend to smile, sprinkle some Bahasa Indonesian in and claim I was only charged 12,000 IDR/kg the last time I flew with them.
Hasn't failed yet - probably something like 20 flights so far. Most I've had to pay has been around 50,000/kg for 5 extra kgs.

Should add this was a tactic I read on here years ago before my first Indo trip.

Also managed to fly BNE-MDC on Singapore and Silk with easily 30kg carry on a few years ago. Just pretend it's not heavy as you walk along with
a jumper draped over your bag. :wink:

Now I've said that, I'll get absolutely belted on my next trip.

AA check in system is now automated, if youre just 0.1 kg over, it wont let you pass and forces you to head to the counter to pay a flat rate depending on destination.

Sometimes i wonder if budget airlines are really worth the extra effort.

AA check in system is now automated, if youre just 0.1 kg over, it wont let you pass and forces you to head to the counter to pay a flat rate depending on destination.

Yes and No as long as you know the score before paying for the ticket.
No refund, no re-route, extra for some seat or prebooked your favourite seat, food etc etc.

Long haul? NO way.

Yes and No as long as you know the score before paying for the ticket.
No refund, no re-route, extra for some seat or prebooked your favourite seat, food etc etc.

Long haul? NO way.

You forgot the constant delayed/rescheduling flights as well

I know someone who used to work for AirAsia. The check-in staff earn a commission on the overweight charges so the more they collect the higher their incentive.

We run a luggage storage company in Bali and have quite a few diving customers who store excess luggage with us while they go on a dive trip to Komodo or elsewhere. There is a luggage storage facility at the airport as well.

You forgot the constant delayed/rescheduling flights as well
Those are mostly by NEW budget airlines.
Air Asia and Cebu Pacific were pretty bad for a while.

Those are mostly by NEW budget airlines.
Air Asia and Cebu Pacific were pretty bad for a while.

Have not tried Cebu Pacific but i've had plenty of cancelled/delayed flights both domestically and international on numerous occasion ( i fly them almost every other week )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom