Drysuit Question - Why don't you.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a noticeable difference between a squeezed undersuit and a well lofted undersuit.

That's why I said "a slight squeeze". Moving air is not isolating and will get you in trouble.

I said "a slight squeeze".
There's still a noticeable difference between a squeezed - even a "slightly" squeezed undersuit - and a thoroughly lofted undersuit.

And there's a lot of excluded middle fallacies when people are discussing this. There are degrees between a squeezed suit and a huge bubble moving up and down your dry suit. In warmer water, one may prefer to be a little more shrink-wrapped. In colder water, one may prefer to handle a slightly larger bubble in exchange for being comfy warm.

Reactions: BRT
I dive in very cold water, icebergs and stuff. When I put more air in my suit than slight squeeze, I create a bubble on my back, but my belly and chest stay squeezed because that's where the pressure is the highest. And that is also my coldest area. So I really don't understand how you guys get fluffy undergarnments.
Well, I suppose shrink-wrapped for me means fluffy to you. When diving in cold water, I put on extra layers, that's the only thing that works for me.

I suppose shrink-wrapped for me means fluffy to you. When diving in cold water, I put on extra layers, that's the only thing that works for me.
Well, I completely agree that you have to trap that gas somehow.

Problem is, there's still a noticeable difference between being a fairly well shrink-wrapped and having a well lofted undersuit without a huge bubble moving back and forth. Like you said, I guess it's a question of how we understand the words.

if you fart in your drysuit does the smell stay there until you unzip?

if you fart in your drysuit does the smell stay there until you unzip?
Yes, of course. How so?

That's the good thing about backzip suits. It's your buddy who gets to smell it.

so glad i got the Waterproof D1, in that case.

On the other hand, taking a leak while in a backzip suit sucks donkey balls. I'd rather live with the smell of a fart or two than having to handle a backzip suit when I have to go (which I usually have to do both just before my dive and just after).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom