Need 4 to go. Pompano Dive Center 4 wrecks on 1/10/2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norrm

Banned
Reaction score
Looking to do 4 great wreck dives on 1/10/2020 with Pompano Dive Center.

This time of year is tough, it's a bit chilly and most Dive Ops have wide open schedules. What makes things difficult is this "4 to go" policy (or even as many as 7 with SFDHQ larger boat).

I think dive boats should go with as little as 1 diver even though they lose money. It's good customer service for one, it builds loyalty for two, and it's a service that most or all dive ops do not offer which would set them apart from the rest.

Also this minimum diver rule can start a vicious cycle. A diver such as me might book with a few charters, planning to cancel all but one, depending on who is going out, so as to not get shut out if a large group books last minute on an available trip and my chosen dive charter cancels due to lack of minimum divers. Another benefit to me of booking with multiple dive charters is that if other divers call to schedule they will be told there are enough divers and they will proceed with scheduling their own booking rather than trying a different Op or even giving up entirely.

This might mean that other dive ops might have enough scheduled divers but be forced to cancel due to my cancelation at the last minute because I overbooked myself to protect my dive vacation and now they don't have minimums. I bet other divers do this as well -who can blame them- and this results in a lot of cancelations and disappointments all around.

Anyway- Pompano Dive Center needs 4 for the wreck dives on Thursday January 10th, with me and my buddy there's 2. So if 2 more divers book then we can all be assured we're diving that day (conditions permitting of course), and I can cancel with another dive Op that I have currently booked who also doesn't have enough divers and reservse the right to cancel up to 4 pm the day before.

8:30 am Rodeo 25/Union Express
1:30 pm Ancient Marina/Okinawa

I understand your concerns, but the dive shop is probably loosing money on a charter of 4 as it is. Paying for a captain, and fuel isn't cheap. When PDC runs with just 4 on board, I feel like they're doing me a favor. I also give the DMs a bigger tip since there really won't be enough tips to actually make it worth their time.

An idea for you. You are on vacation, so paying a little extra could be a way to guarantee your 4 dives. Offer to pay for 4 spots for the day, in the event the other 2 spots don’t get filled. This way aside from weather, you are guaranteeing your 4 wreck dives. Worse case you spend more but have a private dive boat for the day. Best case, the other 2 spots get filled.

@jeffsky29

Not sure what you mean about offer to pay for 4 spots for the day as that is what I am doing (2 divers morning plus 2 divers in the afternoon).

If you mean offer to pay for 2 extra spots for one of the dives in exchange for a guarantee of 4 dives total, I would think they would decline the offer, given that the total is below the 4 diver minimums but it can't hurt to ask.

.... A diver such as me might book with a few charters, planning to cancel all but one, ...
Every Florida captain reading this just made a note in their customer profile software to put you on their list of "Boat's Full, but call back the day before" list. You know all the captains talk to each other right??

You know all the captains talk to each other right??
They do?!?!

Well I for one am flabbergasted by your revelation.

What do you think captains up in the panhandle are saying to the captains in Miami?
"Seen a seagull flying South east, let me know if you see it"

Every Florida captain reading this just made a note in their customer profile software to put you on their list of "Boat's Full, but call back the day before" list. You know all the captains talk to each other right??

You sound like you're really hurt and offended by my multiple bookings plan.

That's ok but you're just being ridiculous now.

The tissues are in aisle 3 next to the cleaning supplies

@jeffsky29

Not sure what you mean about offer to pay for 4 spots for the day as that is what I am doing (2 divers morning plus 2 divers in the afternoon).

If you mean offer to pay for 2 extra spots for one of the dives in exchange for a guarantee of 4 dives total, I would think they would decline the offer, given that the total is below the 4 diver minimums but it can't hurt to ask.

I thought you said they would only go with 4 divers on the morning dives and 4 on the afternoon dives. So you and your buddy would each pay for an extra diver (2 ghost divers) in the am and each of you would pay for an extra diver (2 ghost divers) in the afternoon. This would guarantee the boat has 4 paid divers for the entire day. I would think they would treat the two of you very well and the boat is yours for the day. And this is only if no one else signs up to dive. Kind of like you signing up with 2 boats planning to cancel on one, possibly ruining 2 other diver’s day when the boat cancels the trip after you and your buddy cancel on one of the boats. I understand your insurance plan, I am just suggesting you offer to pay for the insurance, rather than book 2 boats. These boats are small businesses in a tough industry. Every dollar counts for them, especially during the slow season.

Another option, book through Force E. They don't own boats but 'broker' for a lot of boats in the area. Sort of like Ticketmaster for dive boats. They can help assure you end up on a boat that will go.

Some shops require a credit card number and will charge you if you cancel last minute without a good reason.... be aware of that if you're booking with multiple boats.

I wanted a guaranteed night dive, for two people, with the Pompano requirement of 4 divers, so I booked four spots, with the caveat that if anyone else showed up, i would not have to pay for the ghost spots. As it happens, we had no other divers, had the boat to ourselves, and it was a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom