Oceanreef vs OTS Full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn Williams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all:
I am leaning toward purchasing a full face IDM. I’ve gone to YouTube and other social media sites and have seen a bunch of reviews. I’m really liking the OceanReef extender series.

I’m looking for some “real” user stories.

Things I’m interested in are:

Mask fog (which is best)
Air usage (does air usage decrease with a mask or increase)
Which brand has more upgrades available
Customer service
Pros and cons of full face and pros and cons of each brand
Which model is the best
Any other pertinent information you think would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

This topic has been discussed in detail in the past. Perhaps a quick search of the topic "Full Face Mask" would be helpful.

Mask fog (which is best)
Air usage (does air usage decrease with a mask or increase)
Which brand has more upgrades available
Customer service
Pros and cons of full face and pros and cons of each brand
Which model is the best
Any other pertinent information you think would be helpful.

check out @Lake Hickory Scuba 's youtube channel. Bryan and his team did a fairly significant video series on FFM's.

• Mask Fog, if one is positive pressure, that will always be better, but I haven't had any issues with the ones that I've used. My personal FFM is a Poseidon, but I have a lot of ours on OTS AGA's, OTS Spectrums, and OTS Guardians. Not a ton of dives on Ocean Reefs *probably 40-50 hours?*, but never had any issues
  • Air usage-if one is positive pressure, it will use more than non-positive pressure because it's essentially constantly freeflowing slightly. It usually uses slightly more than you would with a normal second stage because you have to keep the entire air space of the mask clear etc. so I usually have a 10% ish increase in my sac rate which isn't terrible if I'm not talking. If I'm on comm's *which is about the only reason that I dive FFM*, then it will essentially double depending on how much talking I'm having to do. This is going to be the same regardless of which mask you choose.
  • Upgrades like what? Standard stuff as far as comms, ABV's, etc are going to be standard. Most of the masks have a rail system available, glasses holders, etc.
  • I've never had an issue with OTS customer service, and Bryan can speak to Ocean Reef's, but I also don't have to go through an LDS which usually helps.
  • Pros/cons. I try to avoid diving FFM if at all possible, so the question is why do you want to dive FFM? Your specific mission for using it is going to determine which pros and cons are useful for you.

check out @Lake Hickory Scuba 's youtube channel. Bryan and his team did a fairly significant video series on FFM's.

Thanks for the referral @tbone1004 .

@Glenn Williams, feel free to give us a call, 828-632-7649, and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have on Full Face Mask Diving. Also we have several videos on our YouTube channel, discussing Full Face Masks that you may find helpful. Let us know how we can help.

My reason as for looking at full face masks are really out of curiosity. I do just fine with a standard scuba setup. I see folks who have purchased a FFM and turn around and sell them for a lot less than they paid. I just think it would be cool to talk with my dive buddy during a dive i.e. novel idea.

As far as upgrades go, the abv valve is not included on some masks that I have looked at. But I was thinking about gopro mount, flash lights, swivel mounts and lens replacements etc. I’m also concerned about if you buy a FFM, how long is it supported?

Sorry I was not aware this subject had been discussed previously, I will do a search. If anyone has the link that would be great.

Thanks

Glenn

Thanks for the referral @tbone1004 .

@Glenn Williams, feel free to give us a call, 828-632-7649, and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have on Full Face Mask Diving. Also we have several videos on our YouTube channel, discussing Full Face Masks that you may find helpful. Let us know how we can help.
Thank you, I’ve been watching your videos for awhile, not only on the FFM. I like your FFM setup and you are the reason I’m leaning toward the oceanreef FFM.

If I get serious about purchasing one You will be my first call.

Thanks

Glenn

@Glenn Williams lots of subjects on them, but the general consensus seems to be avoid them unless you need them. I can't speak for @Lake Hickory Scuba but I know that while mine lives in my truck as a "just in case", it is not what I put on my tanks unless I need comms or am in particularly filthy water. Being underwater is silent *relatively, open circuit scuba is insanely loud on its own from the bubbles and regulators*, and very peaceful. Talking to my buddies on serves to ruin most of that for pleasure dives

Thank you, I’ve been watching your videos for awhile, not only on the FFM. I like your FFM setup and you are the reason I’m leaning toward the oceanreef FFM.

If I get serious about purchasing one You will be my first call.

Thanks

Glenn

We will be happy to help you in any way possible.

@Glenn Williams lots of subjects on them, but the general consensus seems to be avoid them unless you need them. I can't speak for @Lake Hickory Scuba but I know that while mine lives in my truck as a "just in case", it is not what I put on my tanks unless I need comms or am in particularly filthy water. Being underwater is silent *relatively, open circuit scuba is insanely loud on its own from the bubbles and regulators*, and very peaceful. Talking to my buddies on serves to ruin most of that for pleasure dives

Everyone will have a different reason for using a Full Face Mask. We use them out of a need for the type of diving we do. But I will agree with tbone1004, its not my go to. I enjoy the peacefulness of not having to communicate while wearing a standard mask.

Back
Top Bottom