Made the jump.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question is why have you switched to primary donate? I did it to build muscle memory for tech training. If all you are doing is recreational diving primary donate is counterproductive as it goes against recreational conventions and norms.

Honestly I just like how it lays better while using my bp/w. I’m also planning to do a lot of solo diving so I’m trying to build my setup for a pony next to the wing. So it really just comes down to layout. When I do the occasional vacation dive or boat dive it’s easy enough to explain. And if they yank my primary just because then my back up is right there. Not too worried. Practice makes perfect

I don't like popcorn.
A lot of recreational divers are using long hose and primary donation. So it is not really counter productive against certain doctrine.
BTW, I am also using similar set up for recreational dive and I always explain it to my "allocated" buddy before the dive.

I fail to understand why some see an issue with primary donate for recreational divers. Sure it’s a good idea to discuss emergency protocols with any new buddy, but even if you don’t, what’s the risk? If an ooa diver grabs your bungied backup, so what? Other than the challenge of the short hose, there should be no issue.

I fail to understand why some see an issue with primary donate for recreational divers. Sure it’s a good idea to discuss emergency protocols with any new buddy, but even if you don’t, what’s the risk? If an ooa diver grabs your bungied backup, so what? Other than the challenge of the short hose, there should be no issue.

And to add, how often does this actually happen? I imagine in most cases it'd just be a cluster .... anyway.

When the proverbial hits the fan, for most I'd hazard, the OOA "training" they received is all but forgotten. I practice so I know what to do for my buddy even if he/she doesn't.

Panic does strange things to people and in my experience I've seen more people begin to panic when something goes wrong than those who remained calm. YMMV.

And to add, how often does this actually happen? I imagine in most cases it'd just be a cluster .... anyway.

When the proverbial hits the fan, for most I'd hazard, the OOA "training" they received is all but forgotten. I practice so I know what to do for my buddy even if he/she doesn't.

Panic does strange things to people and in my experience I've seen more people begin to panic when something goes wrong than those who remained calm. YMMV.

exactly. And to be honest I don’t see a panicked diver going for the bungee anyways. I see them going for my primary since they see me breathing off it. I’m not speaking from experience just picturing that situation. If they are grabbing.

Funny, I just bought the DGX to replace my Cressi Mini. The Cressi is plastic. I have 200+ dives with it with no issues besides the plastic getting scratched. I wanted a little bigger gauge.

Attachments

• SPG.jpg
    SPG.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 62

Back
Top Bottom