What was your "Advanced Wreck" like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For someone interested in an advanced wreck class someday, but not yet ready for deco diving, how much value is there in taking a no-penetration wreck class from PADI or equivalent agency now?

For someone interested in an advanced wreck class someday, but not yet ready for deco diving, how much value is there in taking a no-penetration wreck class from PADI or equivalent agency now?

Do it. At least for TDI Advanced Wreck, the SDI recreational class (or equivalent) is a prerequisite. My SDI wreck class was actually limited penetration, within the light zone. We ran line with a reel, etc. There are a number of local wrecks in Lake Michigan that afford opportunities to get inside, but still see the light from outside. That was my favorite speciality of my Advanced course.

@Esprise Me Whether or not an instructor would require you to have a tech cert with deco procedures is something to ask. The local tech instructor who teaches it prefers students on doubles - and you have to be able to do a valve drill if you’re diving backmount doubles (it’s much easier on SM).

41D9AC86-C5D7-460A-85D9-B62076DFA839.png

Not to contradict @Marie13 , but...

It all comes down to the instructor. I've probably seen a half-dozen of them taught. And in my opinion, they were not valuable. They were little more than (semi-) private-guided looks into the wrecks. Now, with the right instructor, that could very well be different.

The other way to look at it, though, might be: if the cost of the class is roughly similar (well under double) to the cost of those guided dives, then why not? For rec-level wreck dives in the Keys or Pompano, I've paid $50 for a private guide, plus $100 for the trip (two tanks). Great Lakes trips are a little more expensive. So if the class is, say 4 dives and 2 trips and costs $400-$500 (and includes the trips!), why not?

Not to contradict @Marie13 , but...

It all comes down to the instructor. I've probably seen a half-dozen of them taught. And in my opinion, they were not valuable. They were little more than (semi-) private-guided looks into the wrecks. Now, with the right instructor, that could very well be different.

The other way to look at it, though, might be: if the cost of the class is roughly similar (well under double) to the cost of those guided dives, then why not? For rec-level wreck dives in the Keys or Pompano, I've paid $50 for a private guide, plus $100 for the trip (two tanks). Great Lakes trips are a little more expensive. So if the class is, say 4 dives and 2 trips and costs $400-$500 (and includes the trips!), why not?

Yes, it really depend on the instructor. The pair who taught mine were great. They love the wrecks, and dive them for fun, which is a big plus. We were taught how to gauge a wreck for hazards, study the opening, even drawing it. I dare say mine was a lot more thorough than many are.

Does PADI’s wreck specialty even include limited penetration?

@Marie13 I had a couple of questions for you, but for some reason I can't direct message you, and I hate FB and don't want to go find you there. Did I do something to offend you to get blocked? If so, I'm sorry... :)

@Marie13 I had a couple of questions for you, but for some reason I can't direct message you, and I hate FB and don't want to go find you there. Did I do something to offend you to get blocked? If so, I'm sorry... :)

PM’ing you.

Does PADI’s wreck specialty even include limited penetration?

Yes it does on dive four as an option.

My SSI wreck class was a waste but that was instructor related.

Doing advanced the way I did, I made sure to add wreck as one of the specialties I can teach for PADI - you can make that class really fun and worthwhile.

As others have stated, it can be very instructor specific, but some it depends on your own current experience and the manner the AOW wreck class is being taught.

What experience and training have you taken so far?
How much is the class? How many days? Is it being combined with any other classes?

The single tank 1-2 day wreck classes are typically extremely rudimentary, but they do offer some introductory benefit---outside of a cave class they are usually the first introduction a student has to running a reel. Other skills that may be covered are kicks, lift bag, pony bottle, valve drills, SAC rate calculation, compass use---some of these may be new depending on the students previous class progression.

The class should succeed in giving you a taste and hopefully make you more confident in doing a short swim through or diving a smaller wreck.

I did my PADI wreck speciality back in 2008 in the UK and we did a small penetration dive of a clean artificial wreck at the bottom of a quarry. On the second / third dive I laid a line around the exterior of the wreck and on the final dive we penetrated with me laying the line and securing tie offs inside.

Despite it being a super easy penetration I still managed to get my tank valve caught in the line. I also discovered that a pistol grip lantern style light will blind everyone in the room if you let go of it and allow it to dangle from a leash.

I can see how the introduction recreational wreck speciality courses might seem trivial compared with technical level advanced classes. However I still practice the lessons learnt from that first class and they have kept me safe on multiple dives since. I would recommend anyone interested in wrecks took a recreational class first. I am a big believer in progression and I think if you can find an instructor who is willing to really teach you to the limits allowed in the class, you will definitely take away some valuable skills and experiences.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom