Carnival 2020 avoid or partake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So there's no diving or eating tacos during Carnival? (I wish that was how I spend my day when I am home.)

Sorry you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Let me rephrase: " If all you want to do is dive and eat tacos another time would be better." Mainly the qualifier "all".

Anyways, several years ago my wife and I arrived in Cozumel in the middle of Carnival. We hadn't planned it, but we were delighted to see the people and the parades and hear the music and be able to share in a special time for the residents of that small island. Were we inconvenienced? Maybe a little, but the experience was well worth it. We were also free to dive and eat tacos.

I also did not mean to infer that you spend your time in Texas diving and eating tacos. Let me rephrase that part of my post: "It will depend on if you like new experiences when you travel or prefer to pretend you are still at home." My emphasis (and obviously not yours) is on "new experiences".

I think you misunderstood my concerns about the carnival activities. My questions concerning a one or two hour period of arrival should not be projected to my plans for the entire week. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Cozumel in a different light. As Gordon said, I'm just a little concerned about getting off the ferry and trying to drag my bags through a crowd trying to figure out how to get to my hotel to check in. Once we're all checked in, I'll be ready to join the party.

I'm just a little concerned about getting off the ferry and trying to drag my bags through a crowd trying to figure out how to get to my hotel to check in.
Do the tricycle porters take off for Carnival? If they're working, grab one that'll carry you & your bags, zig zag thru the parade, and either take you to your downtown hotel or to a good spot to find a taxi.

Do the tricycle porters take off for Carnival? If they're working, grab one that'll carry you & your bags, zig zag thru the parade, and either take you to your downtown hotel or to a good spot to find a taxi.

If you arrive on the ferry with your bags during the parade, there will be NO "zig zaging," tricycling, walking, crawling, or otherwise while carrying bags up the malecon OR the sidewalks of the malecon. Before the parade, or after the parade, but not during the parade.

Melgar is a two lane divided road. The parade only happens on one side of Melgar (at a time). The other side is just people walking around, and street vendors. You will have to cross Melgar which will be a little inconvenient, but definitely not difficult. Once East of Melgar it will be smooth sailing. Walk East a block or two and catch a cab. I believe you said you were staying south of town, is that correct?

Melgar is a two lane divided road. The parade only happens on one side of Melgar (at a time). The other side is just people walking around, and street vendors. You will have to cross Melgar which will be a little inconvenient, but definitely not difficult. Once East of Melgar it will be smooth sailing. Walk East a block or two and catch a cab. I believe you said you were staying south of town, is that correct?

The parade will take place on two or three different nights. The last night is the biggest. The parade doubles back on itself and at times there are floats on both sides of Melgar. People are thick on both side of the street during the whole parade and the area around the pier has the heaviest concentration. The tricycle porters will not be trying to pick up bags and buck the tide. You had best try not to arrive during the parade, but before. Cops block cars (and taxis) from the streets leading to and from Melgar, and it will be difficult to find a taxi on 5a Av or 10a Av, for that matter.

Just as the 'yanques' are flying in for that week, one wonders how many locals fly or boat their way off the island for that week ?

If it's like Mardi Gras in New Orleans, a lot of local residents go elsewhere for that weekend and the next three days.

We haven't booked anywhere to stay but will probably be Village Tan Kah or Casa del Mar. We arrive in CUN a little before 8pm and rather than stress over making the ferry we decided to stay in PDC that night and come over in the morning. Might do a bull shark dive in PDC first. Either way, we avoid the conflict with the parade.

We haven't booked anywhere to stay but will probably be Village Tan Kah or Casa del Mar. We arrive in CUN a little before 8pm and rather than stress over making the ferry we decided to stay in PDC that night and come over in the morning. Might do a bull shark dive in PDC first. Either way, we avoid the conflict with the parade.
If you were to fly direct from HOU to CZM you'd be there before noon. I'm just sayin'. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom