Just Returned from Another Coz Trip, Looking for New Dive Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be looking at the Philippines. Flights are cheap from the west coast and it has a ton of affordable diving possibilities.

Which would be your top recommendations for a non-LOB trip?
We're not big on the resort thing, but if that's the only practical, reasonable place, that would be OK.

Our "home" airport would be Portland, OR, but a connection to SEA, or SFO wouldn't be out of the question.

I quoted Mr. Sunday, but anyone please feel free to respond.

We can fly out of Calgary, My wife just flew from Calgary to Ethiopia in October. It was cheaper, and took around 25 hours to get there and 32 hours coming home. Not great, but not terrible. We have never done a live aboard but my wife isn't sure she wants to be on a vacation where there is nothing other than diving. We like to go out to good restaurants and sight see and that isn't an option on the boats unfortunately. I would definitely do it, but probably not my wife.

This was my first liveaboard, and those were my fears as well.

I didn't notice how long you said you wanted to go for. Depending on your level of adventure-tolerance, Egypt is *so* affordable, you could *easily* (financially) go for two weeks, and have one week of diving and one week of sightseeing. I was there for most of 11 days, but I made a mistake: I had 2 days before and 2 days after the liveaboard. It would have been better to block them together more, and maybe add a couple of days! (The flights dictated the timing: adding those 3 days would have added like $500 to the flight.) I paid $14 a day for lodging and breakfast. Dinner would have been an additional $3, but I wanted to eat out at different places. The room was a 2-bedroom *suite* with wet bar and a bit of balcony and marble everywhere and perfectly clean: but dimly lit and 40 *years* out of date, 4 blocks down a dirt (sand) road, with a half-finished strip mall thingy next door. I ate everything they had for breakfast and felt fine the entire time. But unless you're Eastern European or Russian, the breakfast buffet would *not* be recognizable. I loved it all -- but was OK with adventure.

However, from my experience, Egypt (specifically Hurghada, where I was) would not be a place to go if "good restaurants" (meaning, say 2-3 star level refinement) is a requirement. I really enjoyed it, but two things: 1) I was in the older portion of the city (where the marina is), and I focused on local restaurants and street food, which was uniformly great. The fanciest place I went was a restaurant named Starfish for wonderful seafood: I ate plenty of great seafood for 300LE ($15 USD). But nothing that I saw pretty much *ANYWHERE* in the city would be what I as a suburban American would consider refined.

If 'dive during the morning, relax in the afternoon, be pampered in the evening' is what you're going for, I would not recommend Hurghada -- or a liveaboard, for that matter. As my wife and I say, there are adventurous vacations, and there are relaxing vacations. Hurghada is an adventurous vacation. Maybe a place like Sharm el Sheikh would be more relaxing? But I doubt it: I don't think any place in the Middle East is going to be relaxing -- certainly not for an American who's never left North America...

And as for liveaboards: there may be ones (way outside of my budget) that have "good restaurant" food, but I'm skeptical. I've been on cruises where people rave about the food, but I disagree. And liveaboards are usually below cruise ships in food quality. After all, how much can you do in a kitchen the size of a closet and a pantry the size of a dorm-room refrigerator? On the one I was on (Emperor Superior), I was pleasantly surprised with the food -- once again, if you get over the fact that you're in a Muslim country (no pork) that caters to Europeans. Enjoyable. But not comfortable.

Sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of it -- especially when everyone else is already giving you great Caribbean options. I would recommend Hurghada to anyone -- as long as they were up for adventure. Seeing as you mentioned Egypt and seemed to eliminate it for logistical reasons that could be addressed, I recommended it. But know what you're getting into! :)

My wife would like to try to get to Egypt, and meet up with her friend who is living in Addis Ababa. Do you typically fly into Hurghada direct? If I go all the way to Egypt I would want to see some of the sights on land, as well as dive. Is it difficult to get to the pyramids and other archaeological sites from Sharm or Hurghada? Might be too much to try to fit sight seeing and diving into a 10 day trip.

My wife would like to try to get to Egypt, and meet up with her friend who is living in Addis Ababa. Do you typically fly into Hurghada direct? If I go all the way to Egypt I would want to see some of the sights on land, as well as dive. Is it difficult to get to the pyramids and other archaeological sites from Sharm or Hurghada? Might be too much to try to fit sight seeing and diving into a 10 day trip.

I'd suggest at least 2 weeks for travel to the Mideast to include a dive trip and a sightseeing trip. We flew to Cairo and then Sharm and spent a week on a liveaboard. Then we flew back to Cairo for the pyramids, the Egyptian Museum, and as the launch pad for other sight-seeing excursions - or perhaps a side trip to Ethiopia and Addis Ababa for you. Since your wife's friend is local she should be able to advise you.

If you think it is unlikely that you will have a chance to get back to that part of the world for some time - make sure that you plan enough time to enjoy the sights - that my opinion, anyway.

I think most flights from US will fly into Istanbul with a 8-hour long layover then arrive into Hurghada or Sharm around 3am. I did see flights on a few days into Hurghada around 10pm. I don't know why all the flights don't just leave Istanbul 6 hours earlier and arrive at a decent hour. Just seems the way they do things. There are many more flight options in/out Cairo.

I'd take 12 days then because it might be a once in a lifetime trip. But you might make ten days work if you do 5 or 6 days of land-based diving not a week-long liveaboard. You could spend a full week in Cairo and stay busy but you can knock out the top attractions (pyramids, main museums, bazaar, etc.) in a day or two. You can fly EgyptAir from Hurghada to Cairo. It's a 1 hour flight and about $120. There are probably similar Sharm-Cairo flights. We booked Turkish airlines RT flying into Hurghada and out of Cairo for same price as in/out the same city.

I’ve had some of the best meals flying to IST first class on Turkish Airlines! I almost refuse to depart the plane!

Which would be your top recommendations for a non-LOB trip?
We're not big on the resort thing, but if that's the only practical, reasonable place, that would be OK.

Our "home" airport would be Portland, OR, but a connection to SEA, or SFO wouldn't be out of the question.

I quoted Mr. Sunday, but anyone please feel free to respond.
You can fly non-stop from San Francisco or LAX to Manila on Philippine Airlines. April/May is a great time of year for diving. If you have an hour or so, you can read this: Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Direct to Hurghada is *vanishingly* unlikely. The airport is the size of a bus station... Maybe from Turkey. But the whole point is to avoid the 8-hour layover you're going to get by landing in Europe or Turkey, or arriving in Hurghada at 4AM. So, again, my strong recommendation is Canada to Cairo to Hurghada (or Sharm).

I had a direct flight Toronto to Cairo, then Hurghada. It's like an hour flight from Cairo. I left at 1P local and arrived at 10A local, probably 16 hours or so of elapsed time.

To get to Luxor from Hurghada is a 4-hour bus ride. That was the mistake I made: the trips leave at like 4AM, arrive at 8AM, stay through the day, then leave at like 4 PM and get back at 8PM. I arrived at 10A, so that didn't work for that day, and I needed to be on the boat at 8PM the next day, so *that* didn't work! :) That's why I wish I had put the 4 days in Hurghada in a row. My understanding is that it's a similar bus ride to Luxor from Cairo, so you're not losing out. Sharm is way on the other side of the Red Sea: no pyramids.

After my red sea trip last year, i can say I was happy to be headed home without any of the extra side trips. I just dont feel like I would have felt relaxed .

The beauty of the socorro trip is the 30 hour flight becomes a 30 hour booze cruise :D

Back
Top Bottom