Travelling diver who hires equipment and hate weight belts...solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how much stuff you can put in those pockets and just wear it on the airplane? Kind of like a photography vest type of scenario. Which also gives me more ideas. Hmm.....

Does anybody else have a dislike of wearing weight belts and have set up their own weight rig out of webbing for example or found another solution to my problem?
I agree, I utterly dislike weight belts, find them extremely uncomfortable, and I agree that unfortunately typical rental gear is very plain.
My solution - I bought my own BCD, light for travel with integrated weights, the manufacturer is RipTide, fairly unknown brand. This also gives me very low profile back-inflation which I prefer, another feature tough to find in rental gear. You may also consider a compact regulator which will add only about 4 lb to your weight. I put the regulator in my carry-on. After renting I realized that the pleasure of having my own higher quality equipment exactly as I want it for say 10 days of diving far outweighs that extra say 8 lb (4 kg) in my luggage, I am not paying any extra luggage fee for that.

I agree, I utterly dislike weight belts, find them extremely uncomfortable, and I agree that unfortunately typical rental gear is very plain.
My solution - I bought my own BCD, light for travel with integrated weights, the manufacturer is RipTide, fairly unknown brand. This also gives me very low profile back-inflation which I prefer, another feature tough to find in rental gear. You may also consider a compact regulator which will add only about 4 lb to your weight. I put the regulator in my carry-on. After renting I realized that the pleasure of having my own higher quality equipment exactly as I want it for say 10 days of diving far outweighs that extra say 8 lb (4 kg) in my luggage, I am not paying any extra luggage fee for that.

Very cogent.

Get yourself an Aqualung Outlaw (plus integrated weights) or the Aqualung Rogue both great travel BCD's and small enough for hand luggage

A pocket weight belt is easy to pack and more comfortable than a traditional nylon strap weight belt.

I wonder how much stuff you can put in those pockets and just wear it on the airplane? Kind of like a photography vest type of scenario. Which also gives me more ideas. Hmm.....

Interesting idea, wear a pocket weight belt during travel the same way you would wear a money belt. Of course you would have to take it off and put it on the x-ray conveyer in Security, but if you have one that is comfortable to wear then that might work.

I have a home made harness that I put some pockets on for a quick release of the weight.

Used it with dry suit to be more comfortable with the increased weight needed

I use a DUI harness for diving dry, but it would be needlessly bulky for travel. TBH, I couldn’t imagine traveling and taking pot luck on gear. I don’t mind wearing a belt, but I would think a travel BCD and regulator set would be more valuable to me than fins. I would much rather have my own BCD than fins. Just my 2psi.

Hi All,

I travel to different dive locations and travel lightweight as I can so I only carry my mask, wetsuit, Eezycut trilobite and my dive computer in my luggage.

I, therefore, have to rent the regs, BCD, tank, fins and weights to dive.

What I am posting about is I hate wearing a weight belt and I find frequently that rental dive BCD's are the cheaper type to buy and do not have integrated weight pockets so I am forced to install a couple of weights to the tank cam band and distribute other weights anywhere I can OR begrudgingly wear a weight belt )-:

Does anybody else have a dislike of wearing weight belts and have set up their own weight rig out of webbing for example or found another solution to my problem?

Any ideas and solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards and a Happy New Year.

Fastnail.
Not a good idea to place required weights where it cannot be ditched. Unsafe practice there , can be very dangerous. It’s one thing to have lead in trim pockets but have required weight in weight pockets that can be dumped if needed. Dive with belt or purchase a bcd with proper weight pockets. If I was the dm / instructor supervising a group I would not allow such a unsafe practice To occur.

Buy a rubber free diving belt from cressi/mako or any reputable free dive company. There is no comparison to a webbing belt vs a rubber belt. They are hands down the best belt available. Make sure you do it up tight and low so It does not impact on your diaphragm

That’s what I use with rental gear. Absolutely comfortable, high quality, and can be trimmed to a custom length.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom