Can someone explain hotel taxes & fees on the island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't think we have discussed this since the new add-on fee that started at the first of the year. In this thread, New Room Tax ?? Divegoose was advised of a new 25 Peso/day add-on, and that went on for six pages. I got a pass on that on my next trip with the Senior Citizen exclusion. I think I read that all exclusions had been cancelled, maybe, but I have no idea if I paid it on my second trip in 2019.

I booked my hotel reservation for my coming August trip, the confirmation now says a 20 Peso/day add-on for "Sanitation services," but the "Tax recovery charges and service fees" calculate at 22.54%?! That does not sound right. Mexico Travel Information - Travel Yucatan explains "Generally it is 16% tax plus 2% lodging tax all over Mexico, with exception of the state Quintana Roo; there the tax is only 10% plus the 2% lodging tax," but I guess that's totally wrong. On the above referenced thread, he added...
It wasn't that long ago that the tax was raised from 14% to 19%.

So what is it?

Side note: I see that
El Cozumeleno is still charging $5 USD/night add-on instead of the required 20 Pesos. I guess that's still their private gimmick.

Cozumel Hotel Taxes:

16% IVA (federal sales tax)
3% room tax (a state tax on hotel room-nights)
24.00 pesos per room-night "city environmental clean-up tax" (impuesto de saneamiento ambiental).
This city tax is calculated and reset yearly based on 30% of the federal government’s Unidad de Medida y Actualización (UMA). The UMA is “the economic reference in pesos to determine the amount of payment from obligations and alleged assumptions provided for in the federal law, for the states and Mexico City, as well as in legal provisions emanating from all of the above.” I don’t yet know what the UMA will be in 2020, but the environmental room tax will be 30% of that figure, so still somewhere around 25 pesos. Hotels can quote this tax in dollars at their own rate of exchange, but they only need to remit 25 pesos per room-night to the local government.

I have always see 16% VAT and 3% City tax on my bills, then the hotel has charged the new fee additionally

16% IVA (federal sales tax)
3% room tax (a state tax on hotel room-nights)
So, that's the 19% Divegoose mentioned. That leaves me to wonder about the 22.54% on my booking.

24.00 pesos per room-night "city environmental clean-up tax" (impuesto de saneamiento ambiental). This city tax is calculated and reset yearly based on 30% of the federal government’s Unidad de Medida y Actualización (UMA).
So that varies year to year as well as whom one asks. I was quoted 20 Pesos but I guess that can change.

Environmental cleanup fee. I like it. At least it gives me hope they realize its a problem. It doesnt give me hope the money will end up where its supposed to.
Im interested where the tax is "supposed to go?". Maybe to pay inspectors to check hotels and restaurants to see if they have and are maintaining grease traps. Grease is the numeber one cause of sanitary sewer overflows where i live. How about a adopt a street program for locals to clean their streets around their houses. I have all kinds of ideas lol. I hope it actually goes where its needed.

When I booked my trip for March, the quoted tax rate was 19%. No other fees were mentioned, however I do remember being charged an additional environmental fee when I arrived last year. Don't think it was very much.

Divegoose

It would seem to me that the cheaper your room the higher the percentage the 25 pesos (or whatever the hotel adds on) will be. And vice versa of course. (Simple math)

Cheers - M²

I was just looking at my air bnb receipt for next week and only tax was $4.41 us occupancy tax. I didnt expect to see the env tax but they dont even charge the 16% tax. which would mean i guess they would have to register as a business and all that. I have no problem paying the 16% taxes. I know this is why hotel and bnbs dont like air bnbs.

Checking out of the Grand Occidental, they had a separate charge for the taxes that I paid in pesos...under 100...

us occupancy tax
Really, they quoted a US tax on a Mexican property? What percentage rate?

It would seem to me that the cheaper your room the higher the percentage the 25 pesos (or whatever the hotel adds on) will be. And vice versa of course. (Simple math)
Sure, except the "city environmental clean-up tax" is a flat rate, and not what I asked about.

Back
Top Bottom