Dive conditions in Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethr524

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I have been to Utila a few times in the past, and we're thinking of returning there perhaps in March or April of 2020. What are the dive conditions like there these days? Are the reefs healthy? Is there an abundance of fish? When is the best time to increase our chances of seeing whale sharks?

the reef is in great shape, plenty of small stuff but large schools of palegics aren't too common, although sharks seem to be making a comeback. I always seem to see whale sharks in the 7 days leading up to the full moon and the few days after the full moon.

The reefs are in really good shape generally and there is a fair amount of variation in topography of sites on different sides of the island. There is great variety in the marine life from the macro stuff including nudibranch, pipefish, seahorses etc. and the typical larger stuff like turtles, eels, nurse sharks, sting rays and eagle rays etc. with all the typical caribbean stuff in between. But there is not an abundance of pelagic or large schools of pelagics / larger predatory fish. There is also a chance for dolphin, whale shark, pilot whale and sometimes sperm whale encounters

Back
Top Bottom