Would anyone like to dive Devil's Throat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How deep is your first dive really going to be there?
Devil's Throat is about 125 ft max depth, and the MOD of EAN 32 is 111ft, using 1.4 bar. So you're exceeding the MOD of Nitrox. Other wall dives are shallower but you have to allow for loss of buoyancy for whatever reason and down currents. Oxygen toxicity is likely fatal, so unless there is a hard bottom less than the MOD I stay away from Nitrox.

I did not realize Aldora has different boats for air and for Nitrox divers. By the way my Devil's Throat dive times were 42 and 44 minutes.

I just don’t get the desire to dive Devil’s Throat. It has never been a site I wanted or felt compelled to do.

It was brought up on a boat I was on once but luckily we all outvoted the one guy who wanted to go. There are so many excellent and beautiful dives, I’d much rather be on one of those taking my time.

It only takes about two minutes to swim through it. There is a lot more to that dive than that tiny little swim through.

My wife and I dove the Throat about 4 years ago. Not sure we will again, but like the Blue Hole in Belize I enjoyed the dive and I am glad we dove it, at least once.

Done the "Throat" 3 times now. First time was to experience it, the next two were because the majority on the boat wanted to do it. No desire to do it again - would rather stay shallow and enjoy the life on the reefs.

Divegoose

It’s a swim through. Cozumel has a lot of them. This one’s just a little longer than others and exits a bit deeper. If you like swim throughs you will probably enjoy DT. If you don’t care for swim throughs you probably won’t like it.

It has been almost 3 years since we last dove Devil’s Throat. Wouldn’t mind a little change up this next trip and dive it again. I do like that exit into the blue. When combined with Cathedral it makes a nice change of pace between the reef dives.

For the record, Aldora blends their own gases and can provide from 20.9 to 40%. It is very easy to provide 28% for any nitrox only boat. DT problem solved.

Dave Dillehay

I am an Aldora diver - big tanks, Nitrox, long dives, great DMs and nice boats but not always perfect. Out of 90 dives I have been air on a Nitrox boat (2 dives) before I was EAN certified and after EAN certification we were Nitrox on an air boat (2 dives).

4.4% error rate.

A bit inconvenient for us but Aldora is still our go to dive op and the one we recommend.

It’s a swim through. Cozumel has a lot of them. This one’s just a little longer than others and exits a bit deeper. If you like swim throughs you will probably enjoy DT. If you don’t care for swim throughs you probably won’t like it.

I think it’s more of a “swim down” than a “swim through.” And once in, you are forced to descend 35 feet, which is a hell of a depth change if you are having any kind of equalization issues. So I think it’s considerably different from most Coz swim throughs. Though there is a a vertical chute nearby that resembles the Throat, and in fact some people think they have done the Throat when in fact they have not. The pseudo-Throat has its main exit a bit shallower, around 115 feet I believe, and it has more exits along the way down. My impression is that some dive masters with larger groups go that route because it’s relatively safer.

The reality is that there are a dozen different ways to dive the DT given a good drop and adequate air.

Dave Dillehay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom