How to Engage Younger People in Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As typically one of the youngest (if not the youngest) divers on the boat, I agree with @DBPacific about things.
People my age have a finite amount of resources - this includes time as well as money among other things - if you want younger people diving, it has to appeal to them enough to be worth the cost in both time and money.
A lot of us don't make enough money to afford expensive hobbies - okay I get it, diving can be relatively inexpensive beyond the initial entry cost. I honestly question the wisdom of suggesting people rely on easy credit and go into debt for a hobby when those same people are scraping money to put gas in their beater cars so they can go to work, but maybe that's just me.
So let's assume someone has the credit available, or free cash saved up, or a windfall in a birthday card..whatever - they have enough money to get certified and maybe pick up a few essential items of gear. Why would they want to? What other things can they use that money for? What other hobbies (since we usually have our own interests by the time we have the money to start diving) may they prioritize rather than going for some unknown experience they may or may not like?
How often will they be able to dive in the future? What about people from landlocked areas that can't afford to take time off work (or school) on top of the cost of a dive trip?
Diving is honestly not marketed towards young people - it is shown as an expensive hobby requiring travel to exotic locations, but it is also shown as almost a glorified tour group - no adventure, no excitement, just follow the leader.

So how do you market this activity effectively to young people with limited resources and competing interests? First, I'd suggest actually listening when younger divers tell you what their concerns and issues have been, and listen to understand, don't listen to argue. If you want to know, stop telling us we are wrong.
Second, find a common interest.
Here, environmental concerns are huge. Here, people go snowboarding or hiking or backpacking using the bare minimum. People love mountain biking and bird watching and nature photography - why not start pushing underwater photography? Cave diving? Marine conservation? Use social media to show people the importance of the underwater world, and do it in a way that communicates that importance to them rather than in a way that says "come spend money" - the whole "spend money" aspect of advertising puts off a lot of people in my age group and mostly makes it less likely we will ever engage with whatever you are selling.
Show us an experience, not an ad for an expensive hobby. Show us why we should care about your thing more than whatever thing we are already doing.
Next, make it accessible. We don't have the time or money to take a lot of long trips throughout the year - local dive shops and clubs have had the most success engaging younger people by advertising local dive activities and showing how important and amazing these activities can be. Turn a lake dive trip into a three day campout involving a bonfire, potluck, and some lake diving at a local campsite area, or set up underwater pumpkin carving or easter egg hunting for upcoming holidays.
And probably the most important issue that people just can't seem to see: stop being patronizing. Stop telling younger people that their experiences are wrong or inaccurate - we know what we are dealing with, we live with it daily. Stop treating us like we are irrelevant on dive boats or trips, if we want a super minimal setup then that's what we want. If we have our gear set up in such a way as to pose a hazard, talk to us like intelligent individuals and ask us if there is a reason we have something set up in such a way - point out the potential hazards, but don't treat us like we are all idiots and not worth the tank of air we paid for.
The biggest turnoff for diving that I personally have had has been the attitudes of some older divers who act offended that someone my age would be on a dive boat instead of getting wasted with the rest of the spring break crowd. It's really not encouraging to be part of something when other divers won't acknowledge your existence and are snobbish and rude if they have to acknowledge you at all - nothing says 'we want to involve younger divers' like arranging for everyone on the dive boat to go get dinner after the dive but excluding the one or two people who are younger (and not because under 21 reasons, and not even tactfully done out of earshot).
This thread is a wonderful example of what I'm talking about in regards to how some older divers treat younger divers and how that treatment gives younger divers less and less reason to invest their resources (time and money) in a resource intensive sport - who would want to hang around when they weren't wanted?
On our last dive trip in Cozumel, we actually had a woman who was so hostile towards me that the dive op moved her to another dive boat. I never said a word to her except to let her know where her fins were after the captain put all her gear on the boat so she could climb on - I thought she'd want to know, given the chaos of a small but busy boat, but apparently that was enough to earn death glares and rude comments about my gear for the rest of the dives that day (along with her showing off her perfect buoyancy lotus pose drifting along - I just rolled my eyes and dove my own dive).

Happily, a lot of older divers have been either neutral and indifferent (I'm fine with this) or have actually been friendly and helpful - the owner of our LDS was actually a guest at my wedding and knows they are my first priority to get dive gear (because I care about their small business, because they are welcoming and kind and helpful). Other divers have gotten my attention so I could get photos of sharks, or have helped mentor me with gear arrangements, buoyancy, even photography (which is something I have a lot of experience in outside of diving). They also listen when I talk about my own experiences and seem to value my opinions and are willing to discuss those experiences and opinions without talking down to me. Yes, most of them have been diving longer than I have been around, but there is value in discussion even when you think you know it all already.

If I feel welcome and accepted in an activity that involves something I care about, I am more likely to expend resources to engage in that activity, particularly if engaging in said activity isn't limited to only 2 week LOB trips across the world.

I've been following this thread with great interest. There is a similar problem with attracting individuals to STEM.

The exact age when girls lose interest in science and math

My suggestion is to introduce the whole of both sexes of that age group (above) to diving. High school in the US. No cost, three gym credits towards graduation. There are at least 15 personality types, not all are suitable to become divers. Many will drop out, some will never forget the experience of breathing underwater.

Good idea! And perhaps just offering HS students the chance to breathe underwater in the HS pool would increase awareness and familiarity with scuba, like @icechip suggested.

How about this? Snorkeling is easy and fun and a lot of people feel comfortable with snorkeling and many ops in tropical destinations offer "Discover Scuba" experiences. Maybe they could tie snorkeling excursions to discover scuba to attract people that are already comfortable in the water and interested in marine life. Something like "Book a 2-stop snorkeling trip with us and get a Discover Scuba experience for half-price!"

I suffered through endless mandatory team sports in HS. I can't even begin to imagine what the combined budget of basketball and football was.

So I could imagine some ratty old gear, a handfull of 72's, and a local dive shop who did air fills and gear inspection gratis for the potential customers who actually wanted their own mask, fins, and maybe even a snorkel.

just offering them the chance to breathe underwater in the HS pool would increase awareness and familiarity with scuba
What you said!

Credit for the course: Passed "Experience Scuba" gym credit, no air fills, but a card.

I've been diving since... :)

Im sure the exact age demographic changes around the world but in my area i almost never have a problem finding a dive buddy under 25 years old.

There are even designated groups (one of which im a member of ) for diving buddies between 21-30 years old.

With that being said, most of the people here live no more than 30 minutes drive away from the beach (2 minutes walk in my case) so water sport is pretty popular here.

I’ve wondered if this isn’t a N American phenomenon. From my experiences the diving certification meccas of the world I.e. Utila, Koh Tao, etc seem to be busy or busier than ever. And there’s a large percentage of woman now taking OW and/or DMT.

I was well into my 3rd decade when I took up diving.

I had spent time and money when younger, skiing, sailboarding camping, partying with friends. Times were great in the economy around here in those days. I'd always meant to try scuba but living far far inland, it wasn't in my face so I just never got around to it. Work got more serious too, than when I'd been younger.

I was on a super cheap get away in Cancun. There was a guy sitting by the pool with tank setup and a sandwich board sign suggesting a try dive. My friend knew that I liked the water and suggested that I try it. Everyday, I thought that I would but didn't want to mess my hair or some other silly reason.

Then we went on a tour to Chechen Itza and on the way back the tour stopped for a snorkel in a lagoon.. omg
I got out and said to my friend "I don't think that is enough for me"

The next day, I jumped in the pool after some brief instructions and felt so free looking at all the hair and bandaids and dead skin, lol.

As soon as I got back to work, I told everyone that I was going to take lessons. Two coworkers signed up with me. We took our lessons together. I loved it! One of my coworkers and I became dive buddies, the other one had asthma and probably shouldn't have been approved in the first place.

My buddy was married and making babies like crazy. Then he and the wife really got into golf too.

I met up with an avaricious dive op owner and did some local diving with them but also went on 3 or so trips to tropical areas with them. Once I found Belize, the financial bleeding really started.. :p

I've talked a few people into diving because of my enthusiasm but not so many lately.

First of all, us old garrulous folk aren't going to be able to talk young folk into anything by boring them to death or telling them what they're doing wrong (in our opinion):rolleyes:

Put dive tanks up with a sandwich board at every pool everywhere.

Let the person that is going to be the "instructor" for the try dive, be someone younger. No hard sell until the young person comes out of the water with that chiteating grin on their face, having discovered something that appeals to them.

Then figure out how to make it affordable somehow.

with that chiteating grin or their face, having discovered something that appeals to them.
Lovely feeling, isn't it?

We divers should be (and remain) a self-selected lot. Better for everyone. The issue, IMHO, is to help identify potential divers who never found themselves.

So easy, you either like/love it or you don't.

Oh and I have to agree with the young member that said encouraging more credit is really dumb and wrong and a bunch of other bad ideas. I'd say the name but as an old folk, i can't remember it. Anyway, whatever your name is and DB and every other young person here!! You give it guys! It will be you that bring in other young divers not us old farts.

I love camping weekends but don't like cold water diving anymore. But I remember camping with friends so fondly. OK, i still camp now and then but not with great huge groups of friends like I used to back in the day. Oh youth, what time it was . . .a time for friendships and discovery.

"Ok, old lady" ya, I'm done here for now. Sorry, you young whippersnappers.

Go get 'em.

If I ever want to get an actual phone plan instead of buying minute by minute, I’ll have to buy a new phone because it isn’t 5G compatible and that’s what everyone is changing to.

My phone isn't 5g, I've got a plan.

Re: the military. Your answer to people who can’t afford basic necessities is for them to enlist in the army. Yeah I heard of that plan, my ancestors enforced it. It was called slavery. You want people to risk death, trauma, PTSD, sexual assault, and abuse because they can’t afford rent? Wow you should run for government, you’d fit right in.

That's a pretty dramatic response to a practical suggestion. Joining the military is a proven method to get life long training and skills, a paid college education, and a career limited only by your own aspirations without needing to start with affluent parents. Voluntarily joining a military branch isn't slavery, it's a choice. Unlike previous generations that actually by comparison could claim to have had things rough since they could be drafted and involuntarily forced into the military.

What makes more sense to you on a financial scale:

An activity that requires good local situations or time off of work plus the money for a vacation as well as ~$350-400 for the opening price, or a $20 video game you can get for almost endless hours of entertainment on a computer you already had to get for school or work?

And again, I will mention that children raised to never be allowed to leave the home without extensive supervision tend to get used to entertainment that they can use in the home, which continues as they get older.

Yeah, its different priorities and choices from different generations. It's not a new thing to be broke when young.

Regarding the degrees – the current education system, at least in the US, is geared to prepare children for college. The jobs that are available mostly require at least a Bachelors (unless you have an in with a company or make your own). Your chances at getting hired and earning a living wage go up massively when you get a college degree, so why the hell wouldn’t someone try? Internships are rarely paid, scholarships are generally academic or sports-related, and there are too many students for everyone to get aid.

First, all bachelors aren't the same. So if a college degree is what a person wants they should make sure it's a valuable one. Second, it simply isn't true that most jobs available require a bachelors. In the US we are severely lacking in people able to fill skilled jobs like electricians, welders, mechanics, etc. These trade school jobs pay extremely well but for whatever reason there's little interest in them from the current generations. In industries I'm familiar with intern and co-ops are paid very well so again it comes down to making informed choices.

I agree that it comes down to priorities. When I was a younger adult I had a very limited budget as most do but that didn’t keep me from exploring diving as an activity. And I had it easy in the way that I could easily find a local shop (yellow pages) and pay a for a class with the initial investment of mask fins and snorkel. I don’t believe cost is a factor in the entry level of scuba, many if not most recreational activities are just as expensive. I think scuba entry may decline some but the ones that enter the sport may be more likely to stay active.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom