1st Drysuit Dive and My Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may be better off with poor viz, it will force you to concentrate on the suit while you learn how to use it.

This is a thick neoprene suit if I remember right, if so the thickness can make things feel different and you’ll learn how to work with it, maybe move the D-rings down a bit and practice. The right undergarments will help with a bit of slip and slide to help your movements. You may want to try some conditioner rather than shampoo on the wrist seals, it slides better and last a little longer.

It's made of 5mm hyper compressed neoprene. With my makeshift undergarments on it feels like a snow suit, but less "puffy". Its more forgiving than the 7mm that I'm used to, and about the same in the elbows. I'll give conditioner a shot and the baby shampoo. My wife said I looked pretty professional:) and then she didn't take any pictures:(. Amazing because she takes pictures of EVERYTHING!!

A bit more slack in the harness as well as a tad more air in the suit may help it slide more easily over your torso for flexibility. Think like shrink wrapping before and after you've pricked the bag. Disclaimer, don't prick your bag :eek:

The harness needs to be more loose ever so slightly. I can almost fit 2 fingers comfortably in it with the suit on and just about pull it off my shoulder comfortably. I'm thinking a little more loose would help the D ring situation. More weight would allow more air in the suit, although it never really got "uncomfortable" due to squeeze.

My neo suit is 3mm so yours is probably a little more restrictive but you may want to add a few pounds to add some air, the feel of squeeze from neoprene is a lot more pleasant than squeeze from a trilam, due to some give in the material.

As you're getting suited up, after closing the zipper, put some air in the suit and stretch out - arms mainly - helps get the suit situated. Once you burp the air out, it tends to lock in place somewhat, which can restrict mobility, especially arms for reaching valves (tank and dump).

My neo suit is 3mm so yours is probably a little more restrictive but you may want to add a few pounds to add some air, the feel of squeeze from neoprene is a lot more pleasant than squeeze from a trilam, due to some give in the material.

I was thinking the same. It didn't feel like I could add as much air as I wanted.

As you're getting suited up, after closing the zipper, put some air in the suit and stretch out - arms mainly - helps get the suit situated. Once you burp the air out, it tends to lock in place somewhat, which can restrict mobility, especially arms for reaching valves (tank and dump).

So add air, stretch, feel comfortable, then burp before the dive? If that's correct, that's not really the way I did it. I just zipped and burbed right away, that's for sure helpful. Thanks!

Ordering a set of Hollis F1's now. Damn I hope I like them as they are pricey. I REALLY like my current fins.....

I was thinking the same. It didn't feel like I could add as much air as I wanted.

So add air, stretch, feel comfortable, then burp before the dive? If that's correct, that's not really the way I did it. I just zipped and burbed right away, that's for sure helpful. Thanks!

Ordering a set of Hollis F1's now. Damn I hope I like them as they are pricey. I REALLY like my current fins.....
I use XXL F1's and they are proper heavy. Should definitely help with that light feet feeling, especially with the weight concentrated at the end furthest point from your pivot.

Dido on the burping after getting positioned. Once the suit gets locked in you’re basically committed. I lightly burp, stretch all over then do a full burp followed by the in water “shrink wrap”. It helps A LOT. Also undergarment selection makes a difference in mobility too. If you wear thin undergarments try to have layers that can allow for a little slide over each other.

I use XXL F1's and they are proper heavy. Should definitely help with that light feet feeling, especially with the weight concentrated at the end furthest point from your pivot.

That's great to hear. New expensive purchases always make me nervous.

Dido on the burping after getting positioned. Once the suit gets locked in you’re basically committed. I lightly burp, stretch all over then do a full burp followed by the in water “shrink wrap”. It helps A LOT. Also undergarment selection makes a difference in mobility too. If you wear thin undergarments try to have layers that can allow for a little slide over each other.

I am thinking of ordering Seaskins 2 piece base layer for wicking and 150g 1 piece for thermal. It's made of wool (I believe). I think total would come to ~ $140 for everything.

I've also seen a few people mention to get talc all over the inside of the suit for slight movement. That should help also. Now that I think about it, my undergarments were pretty locked in place, but overall it went a lot better than expected. I expected to do my dive walking on the surface upside down after reading all the horror stories. If it wasn't for the light feet, I think it would of been really comfortable dive.

i would have looked around for a used pair of jetfins/turtles/f1s first. solid rubber fins are hardy and last a long time, so there usually are quite a few available secondhand.

I haven't hit the buy button yet. I'll post a new thread for wtb XXL Hollis F1.

That's great to hear. New expensive purchases always make me nervous.

I am thinking of ordering Seaskins 2 piece base layer for wicking and 150g 1 piece for thermal. It's made of wool (I believe). I think total would come to ~ $140 for everything.

I've also seen a few people mention to get talc all over the inside of the suit for slight movement. That should help also. Now that I think about it, my undergarments were pretty locked in place, but overall it went a lot better than expected. I expected to do my dive walking on the surface upside down after reading all the horror stories. If it wasn't for the light feet, I think it would of been really comfortable dive.
Sounds like you may have already purchased the F1's and if so, this is a moot point- but I have both F1's and Jet Fins. The F1's are heavy, but not necessarily negatively buoyant. Certainly no where as negative as the Jet Fins, which is what you are really after to cure your issue. If you really love your current fins, another option is to stick with them and just add some ankle weights around your ankles. The 1.5 lb ones work nicely.

Back
Top Bottom