Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know where the harbor master's office is? Are regular people protesting or just operators?

I know it sucks but remember, you are a guest in a foreign country........

Does anyone know where the harbor master's office is? Are regular people protesting or just operators?

Port Captains office is just north of town on the main drag (Rafael Melgar). The sign says Capitania del Puerto.

But don't go there as any protest by Gringos will not help anything, and might hurt. She has only been in Office for a few days and probably does not yet understand the difference wind angle can make. On the other hand I sure would not want to be diving Maricaibo, or even Punta Sur in this wind!

Dave Dillehay

PORT OPENED at 3:00

I just haven't updated because I've been frantically trying to round up our divers that were already scheduled for afternoon dives to get twilight/night dive scheduled in it's place - it's been a circus, but we're getting 5 or our 12 out - the others have until 4:30 to respond back!

Who knows what tomorrow brings!

It doesn't seem like boats have to go back immediately after the port is closed. I've been sitting on my balcony watching dive boats head back all morning, seems like they were able to finish morning dives.

screech... what?!?... screech... can't ...hear...you...screech... radio prob....

Yes, a fact which is far too often not grasped or ignored.

Yes, but there are plenty of other foreign countries that would like to have our dollars, also a fact which is far too often not grasped or ignored.

As Dave said, this Harbor master has only been here for 2 days- she got a crash course education in how Cozumel works today. Here is what happened!

The REGIONAL report called for closure due to the strong SE winds. Sure, that affects Cancun and the entire coast of the mainland - SE winds for them are just like NW winds for us. She obviously wasn't using her brain or any logic. After a large protest, many calls and a dozen or so polite but firm letters from dive shop owners (me included), she saw the error of her ways and understands that we are on the LEEWARD side of the island. I believe a call into HER boss may have helped as well.

Hopefully she will retain the "difficult" lesson she learned today and we will move forward with safe but logical operations.

With that said, it does look like a real norte is arriving Saturday morning - so here are my predictions based on the forecast:

Friday, 1/3 - partial opening - southern sites may be closed
Saturday 1/4 - 50/50 opening for the AM, but closed by noon
Sunday 1/5 - Closed all day
Monday 1/6 - 75/25 AM opening; 90/10 PM opening
Tuesday 1/7 - AM opening
Wednesday 1/8 - Closed all day
Thursday 1/9 - open
Friday 1/10 - open
Saturday 1/11 - open
Sunday 1/12 - open

upload_2020-1-2_17-6-21.png

Then looks like another one coming in on Wednesday for 1 day only!

upload_2020-1-2_17-6-53.png

It's great news that her decision was only based on ignorance and she is willing to adjust. It's concerning that appointments seem to be made for reasons other than the person's knowledge and capabilities. (I know this applies to USA, too.) Surely there are lots of people with masterful knowledge of Cozumel waters available.

Thanks, Chuck. Yeah, I noticed there was no chatter, but I thought that since it was over the holidays that maybe Aldora was booked and so wasn't advertising.

When you say she, "shut down east side diving", what does that entail? All boats have to return once the port is closed, so even if they get out ahead of time, they can't be anchored off the east side? That seems a bit draconian.

Remind me please, are there any decent entry points for shore diving on the east side? Or does this also fall under the "all aquatic activities" ban when the port is closed?
We went out by a restaurant on the East side one time when the port was closed. Couldn't tell you where but it was a big bay. Shallow and very different structure than shore diving the West side. We had absolutely no current and it was very enjoyable but not because of large amounts of structure or life. I just like to dive. When we came back out of the water after an hour and a half some tourists were really surprised. They didn't know where we came from.

Weatherunderground has been reporting this all day. None enough breeze to fly a kite even on the windy side...
upload_2020-1-2_17-27-36.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom