Need 4 to go. Pompano Dive Center 4 wrecks on 1/10/2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JimBlay

I hate you.

No I don't, thanks for the info, as bad as it is to hear. But that's part of my point- how easy is it to get blown out of dive trips due to weather- then to pile on top of that "we're not going because we can't make money" and perhaps some of those who stauchily support the policy might begin to understand why a nonlocal diver might hedge their bets.

@JimBlay

I hate you.

No I don't, thanks for the info, as bad as it is to hear. But that's part of my point- how easy is it to get blown out of dive trips due to weather- then to pile on top of that "we're not going because we can't make money" and perhaps some of those who stauchily support the policy might begin to understand why a nonlocal diver might hedge their bets.

I honestly hope the conditions improve for you. I really do! This time of year we get 1-2 good days for every 3-5 lousy ones. Keep an eye on the conditions. This far out they are far from certain and could turn out better than forecasted.

I have been diving year round in SE FL for 10 years, but, am not a full time resident, and must also deal with the whims of nature. I do this by using a number of operators and developing a good relationship with them. I use 3 operators in Boynton Beach, 2 in West Palm, and 1 in Jupiter. The 3 inlets vary in bigger seas from difficult (Boynton) to intermediate (Jupiter) to easier (West Palm). I often make reservations based on current conditions and predictions but am surprised sometimes. Because the operators depart at different times, 8-10 am, I can frequently get on another boat if mine is cancelled. Occasionally, I let the backup operator know I will join them if my primary ride for the day does not go out. They are happy to get the addtional business. If all fails, I can sometimes get in a dive at the BHB. Of course, there are the days I can only ride my bike to the inlet and watch the waves breaking over it :).

Norrm.... scubadada's suggestion of blue heron bridge might be a bad back up plan. If you enjoy macro life/photography it's amazing. If not, well, at least you'd be getting wet. Force E and Pura Vida can rent tanks and flags/reel.

Good luck with the marine conditions and minimum driver situation.

Yes BHB is always a backup plan, and the tides will work for us. Although sometimes the BHB suffers from poor vis when the wind kicks up and it looks to be very nasty next week.

Current forecast for Pompano for 1/10 is 4.5-8.5' swells with waves 5-7'. Unless things change markedly for the better, the 4-to-go policy will be the least of your issues.
Certainly giving themselves some room there with the call 4.5-8.5' swells. Why not just say 1-10 and cover 99% of the possibilities. That said, their isn't a weather person around here that can accurately predict ocean conditions 8 days out this time of year.

Also this minimum diver rule can start a vicious cycle.

And a lack of that rule can also start a viscous cycle. A viscous cycle of dive boats going out of business. It would just be plain stupid to force yourself to go out of business in order to cater to your customers...

Certainly giving themselves some room there with the call 4.5-8.5' swells. Why not just say 1-10 and cover 99% of the possibilities. That said, their isn't a weather person around here that can accurately predict ocean conditions 8 days out this time of year.

Unfortunately I've found Windfinder to be very accurate in predicting conditions in Florida 1 week out. The forecast remains steady, if anything it's a bit worse for January 9-12 which are my planned dive days.

It would just be plain stupid to force yourself to go out of business in order to cater to your customers...

I'm not understanding why a small sixpack operator will lose a ton of money if they take their small boat less than 2 miles out of an inlet with one paying diver that will fill their coffer with at least $100. Especially if the owner is the captain and they don't need to provide a DM.

...I'm not understanding why a small sixpack operator will lose a ton of money if they take their small boat less than 2 miles out of an inlet with one paying diver that will fill their coffer with at least $100. Especially if the owner is the captain and they don't need to provide a DM.

Correct, you do not understand

Correct, you do not understand

Is there an echo in here?

Can someone, anyone explain how a business that consists of a captain who owns a small sixpack boat, will lose money by taking a diver who will pay around $100 for a two tank dive, on an excursion perhaps 2 miles outside of the inlet where the boat is docked?

Or is it a matter of, the captain/owner can't be bothered for such a trivial sum even though his gas and operating costs for that short trip are more than covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom