Dive Computer wrist mount or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all the discussion.

My take-away is that there are no compelling reasons to go with either! As a still inexperienced diver, I'll probably go with an AI console (bunjied to my waist/chest). Wouldn't be surprised to add a (probably AI) wrist mount later.

Thanks again.
A safe ascent will be very difficult with this configuration. You can’t monitor your depth easily and at the same time monitor your team. Follow DIR rules and dive safe. If team has same configuration your will more easily solve issues during dive since the team knows were all equipment are. You don’t have time to think about that when SHTF.

Wow. Didn't realize this was such an emotional issue! :wink:

I did go back and re-read comments. A lot of them overstate the "issues" (e.g. "fishing around for a console", while it seems to me equally fast to raise a console as a wrist.)

But I do have time to consider. One thing I do wonder: how many of you have lost or damaged the transmitter for your AI wrist computer?

Never forgot to put my dive computer on my wrist but .. forgot to put the weight belt. :cool:

Best I saw up here in cold new england was forgetting to zip the drysuit.... but they remembered the wrist mount computer.

One thing I do wonder: how many of you have lost or damaged the transmitter for your AI wrist computer?
I've never lost or damaged my transmitter. The only times it has been off my regulator is when I sent ii in for a recall over 2 years ago and again a couple months ago to change the battery.

As for which is easier to look at, in my opinion, it's not even close. I can glance at my wrist and see all the info I need much quicker than I could grab my console, bring it up to where I can see it, and then stow it back where it was so as not to dangle. Normally, I have my hands in front of me so it's only a matter of taking a quick look at my wrist computer. And as others have said, I feel more relaxed having my information so handy. My air consumption started dropping after I started using my wrist computer.

It took me a while to convince my wife to switch to an AI wrist computer. But now that she has, she loves it like I do.

Perhaps you can rent a wrist computer to try before buying. If you can rent an AI model, so much the better. Then you would know which style you like better.

I've never lost or damaged my transmitter. The only times it has been off my regulator is when I sent ii in for a recall over 2 years ago and again a couple months ago to change the battery.

As for which is easier to look at, in my opinion, it's not even close. I can glance at my wrist and see all the info I need much ....

Thanks. That's helpful, though I usually do NOT have my hands in front - are you holding a camera? I also see from a search on "transmitter" that damaged transmitters are rare - there is even a poll on the subject (though transmitter problems seem less rare.)

Rental options are scarce in Idaho, but I'll check what the possibilities are on my next trip.

Thanks. That's helpful, though I usually do NOT have my hands in front - are you holding a camera? I also see from a search on "transmitter" that damaged transmitters are rare - there is even a poll on the subject (though transmitter problems seem less rare.)

Rental options are scarce in Idaho, but I'll check what the possibilities are on my next trip.

Contact the manufacturer for computers your considering. When I started I did they said sure our regional rep will be in your area doing OW training, meet up with him and he'll bring our demo's for you to try.

Wow. Didn't realize this was such an emotional issue! :wink:

I did go back and re-read comments. A lot of them overstate the "issues" (e.g. "fishing around for a console", while it seems to me equally fast to raise a console as a wrist.)

But I do have time to consider. One thing I do wonder: how many of you have lost or damaged the transmitter for your AI wrist computer?

Never used transmitter. I rely on ordinary gauge (in wreck/mine and during reef dive). It’s cheap, safe and very streamlined. I use two computers on separate bungee (one is backup).

I will clasp one hand with the other and either have them just below my face or against my chest. I just find it to be a comfortable position as well as making it easy to take a a quick glance at my computer. I do have a SeaLife camera which is on an extendable clip so that I'm not holding it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom