Hydro near Atlanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I heard some fire stations will do it for $5. Is that true? I need 2 tanks hydroed ASAP and cheap.

Never heard of it that cheap, I can't see that being possible due to the labor involved. And firehouses rarely do their own retesting for SCBA cylinders. 15 to 20 is the usual cost if you take it directly to the hydro facility.

Looks like your closest options are two fire extinguisher supply places in Marietta, one in Loganville, and one in Tucker

Retester Locations

Have you asked the local dive shop? But since you are a “DIR practitioner” I would highly recommend Extreme Exposure in High Springs.

Never heard of any FD's doing their hydros around ATL. There are three Hydro facilities I know of:

GA Cylinder and Hydrostatic testing in Loganville
ASA Fire in Cartersville
and on in Rome I think

I have used the first one they charged me $12 for Hydro and will do a VIP and sticker for another $4 so $16. Keep in mind that they have no capacity to fill afterward, so a LDS may charge you a VIP again unless you can use a transfill whip to top it up.

ASA quoted me $20 per cylinder for hydro they cant fill or VIP.

I never called the place in Rome

LDS near me runs 25-35 for VIP
and 40-75$ for Hydro

I drove my stuff to Ga Cyilinder, then transfilled.

Glad I live in S. Florida, $40 for a hydro, VIP, new burst disk and Nitrox fill per tank! Unfortunately both tanks need to be tumbled for $30 to $40 each.

I use West Georgia fire extinguisher in Carrollton. I cant remember what I paid for the last ones, they were less than a dive shop, but were more than 5 bucks.
They cant fill there, so you'll need a whip as @aviator8 mentioned

Best turn around I've ever got (LDS or hydro service center)was a week and half.

My question is why the RUSH to hydro?There is probably a better solution to your problem than trying to rush someone to hydro and asking them to do it cheap.

All of the LDS would probably be using one of the local hydro facilities. As you can tell they mark it up so if you want a deal you will need to go direct yourself. If an LDS is close enough they may deliver to the hydro facility themselves but most likely use a delivery service either through the hydro facility or a third party. It is doubtful that the pickup and drop off is any greater than once per week. The hydro facilities are doing hydro for multiple industries and scuba makes up a small percentage of the business compared to SCBA and fire extinguishers. Generally speaking a turnaround for a drop off is a day or two. However if you come in behind a FD that dropped off 100 SCBA units you may have to wait a week. If you want faster and cheaper service go yourself. If you don’t want do deal with the hassle of potentially driving an hour out of your way in ATL traffic and topping off let an LDS do it but it will take longer likely and will cost more as they have to mark up to cover cost and make a profit.

I’ve gone directly to commercial tank facilities to avoid the handling time and mark-up from an LDS and got charged the same retail that the LDS would have charged me.

I could back right into their loading dock and didn’t have to bribe the nephew to help. Be glad you don’t have twelve tanks in the 6-30 CuFt range that all expire at once. (I use them for HSA and PSD) An LDS will offer idiots like me an instructor/bulk discount, the commercial testers, nope.

Couldn’t hurt to shop a bit, though.

I dunno their prices, but Dive Georgia does hydro tests. They're in Woodstock, on the Towne Lake exit from the 575.

Back
Top Bottom