28 Hours of No Fly Time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in French Polynesia, I was told the "puddle jumper" Air Tahiti flights between islands/atolls only required 12 hr no-fly times due to the low elevation of the flights.
Everything is relative. Last week we had a patient who needed a ride in the chamber who was flown over from LC to GC on Cayman Airways rather the the helicopter. The pilot was made aware of the situation and it was not an unusual so. There are often many factors that just cannot be relayed unless you have first hand integral knowledge of the situation. That said she got very uncomfortable on the flight and her legs went from under her when they landed. Not everything is black and white. Luckily she had DAN insurance to cover her visits with us and her unexpected extended stay in GC. She did not get home for Christmas but left feeling very well on Boxing Day.

Everything is relative. Last week we had a patient who needed a ride in the chamber who was flown over from LC to GC on Cayman Airways rather the the helicopter. The pilot was made aware of the situation and it was not an unusual so. There are often many factors that just cannot be relayed unless you have first hand integral knowledge of the situation. That said she got very uncomfortable on the flight and her legs went from under her when they landed. Not everything is black and white. Luckily she had DAN insurance to cover her visits with us and her unexpected extended stay in GC. She did not get home for Christmas but left feeling very well on Boxing Day.

It's what I was trying to point out, the relative nature of the no-fly.

Does the EON Steel actually really calculate the desat time? The only computers i know that really calculate desat and no-fly-time (=deco cleared at cabin pressure, about 0.7bar) instead of just showing some numbers are the H&W OSTC models.
Uwatec Aladin displays both no fly time and desaturation time in surface mode.

Not surprised you didn't have a problem and that Dan said go for it. Hopefully this thread has at least given you a little insight into what the no fly time on your computer means and if you want to follow it or not.

So, DAN said that you should disregard one (or more?) Suunto computations.

This isn’t over, it’s getting more betterer.

(p.s.- and as predicted, you did fly after all)

Should I feel safe following the 24-hour (conservative) guideline and flying home tomorrow? .

Would you feel better if say, a half a dozen anonymous internet posts said "you'll be fine" and say, 3 anonymous internet posters say "see you in a chamber?".

You're always going to get varying opinions, no one is going to ever be able to tell you for sure.

But perhaps my vote will be enough to let you get home on time and sleep soundly. Suunto's are so conservative that they are as good as worthless. 18 hours is DANs recommendation for time-to-fly after repetitive multi-day dives, and even that is ultra conservative compared to what the military goes by.

18 hours is DANs recommendation for time-to-fly after repetitive multi-day dives, and even that is ultra conservative compared to what the military goes by.
DAN's recommendations have several caveats with them that you've conveniently forgotten, and your statement about what the military does is also missing a lot of critical context....to the point of being an unsafe statement. Navy dive tables for wait time before flying depend on one's pressure group; a mid-range pressure group (M) has a 18h wait time. See Navy Dive manual Vers 7, table 9-6.

DAN's recommendations have several caveats with them that you've conveniently forgotten, and your statement about what the military does is also missing a lot of critical context....to the point of being an unsafe statement. Navy dive tables for wait time before flying depend on one's pressure group; a mid-range pressure group (M) has a 18h wait time. See Navy Dive manual Vers 7, table 9-6.

Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger, quoting from articles such as the one linked below which says "The Navy recommends a minimum of 2 hours before flying after scuba diving".

Flying After Diving: How Long Should You Wait? - AquaViews

Back
Top Bottom