Divemaster attire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selkiesearchteam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

New divemaster here! I’m going to be helping out often with confined water training, in an indoor pool that is too warm for a full wetsuit (at least for me!). I have a great shortie sleeveless 5mm wetsuit that works great, but I really don’t want to ruin it with the chlorine. Sometimes I just wear a rash guard and board shorts, but depending on the night that toes the line between comfortable and cold. I also want to be modest as my shop strives to be professional, and I’m all for that.

I’m a small/medium individual, but have the unfortunate issue of needing plenty of support, so swim suits are always difficult to shop for. That and the fact that chlorine just destroys them, so I hate wasting my VS well-supported suits on the pool!

What do you ladies wear, or have seen female divemasters/instructors wear during pool sessions?? Short wetsuit, wetsuit vest, sports bra under rash guard? How do I not break the bank (<$50)?

Looking forward to hearing all your ideas :)

There's a swimsuit seller on Amazon - Private Island Hawaii - that I love. All of their tops have sewn-in cups (no wrinkling! no migrating!) made of a light, flexible foam. The support isn't the same as a running sports bra, but pool sessions involve much less bouncing.

The last time I looked, they offered both a bandeau sports bra top and a full-coverage tank top options. Bottoms include at least bike shorts, capri length, and possibly full tights.

Edited to add: most pieces are inexpensive ($20-30), come in XS through XXL, and are made well. I have a few suits that I use frequently that are several years old with almost no signs of wear and tear. Good quality fabric, solid seams.

swimoutlet.com is a great resource for swimwear at good prices. There house brand, Sporti, is good quality and often very competitively priced. They have an expansive women's section and they sell rashguards and wetsuits as well. Here is a link to a product that might be of interest:

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti...&ShuffledCategoryTopSellers&category_page.rr2

They have a chat feature on their website and an toll free number to call them to ask questions, discuss their products, place an order.

Both of my daughters were competitive swimmers and swimoutlet.com was our go to source, especially when we moved to Africa and Europe where price for quality athletic gear is high and choice is limited.

-Z

I always struggle with getting a spots bra on and off when wet. I use suits designed for aquatic fitness or triathlons under a rash guard, the fashion suits just don't cut it for me. I also shop at Sports Basement for mine because they offer great prices on normal stuff. I would also recommend and aquatic vest for a bit of warmth, if you need it. Finally, I'm sure that you do it, but I wash everything with a BCD cleaner and conditioner after a day in the pool.

Buy an inexpensive 2mm shortie. I wear a 5mm full in the pool. I don’t flail around that much and I tend the get cool and rather focus on my students than shiver.

I wear a basic supportive 1 Pc suit and a rash guard under, which provides professional modesty on the pool deck when my wetsuit is half on.

second showering off all your gear.

I always struggle with getting a spots bra on and off when wet. I use suits designed for aquatic fitness or triathlons under a rash guard, the fashion suits just don't cut it for me. I also shop at Sports Basement for mine because they offer great prices on normal stuff. I would also recommend and aquatic vest for a bit of warmth, if you need it. Finally, I'm sure that you do it, but I wash everything with a BCD cleaner and conditioner after a day in the pool.

Thanks for this link!! I like what they have on there, and stupidly hadn’t thought of triathlon wear for this :) I’m fortunate in that there is a fresh water shower on the pool deck to keep things nice and chlorine free, but I do need to be better with the bcd conditioner.

Thanks for this link!! I like what they have on there, and stupidly hadn’t thought of triathlon wear for this :) I’m fortunate in that there is a fresh water shower on the pool deck to keep things nice and chlorine free, but I do need to be better with the bcd conditioner.
You're welcome :)

Hi all,

New divemaster here! I’m going to be helping out often with confined water training, in an indoor pool .... I have a great shortie sleeveless 5mm wetsuit that works great, but I really don’t want to ruin it with the chlorine.

Looking forward to hearing all your ideas :)

First off, congrats on becoming a DM, now the real fun begins! As far as ruining your gear with the chlorine of an indoor pool, it's gonna happen, period. I have specific "pool gear" that I use to DM. Try to work out a deal with the LDS you are working with, see if they can provide a deeply discounted BC, regulator, wet suit, etc. of a brand or brands that they sell for you to instruct in [I typically seek out gear from their rentals]. Win-win, you get a dedicated set of pool gear, they get free advertising.

I understand I am giving a male opinion in a female perspective forum. The local pool we use can vary between 74 and 83 degrees. Even when it is in the 80 degree realm I wear a 3 mil. I tend to be warm for the first hour or two. But come hour 4 to 6 I start to get cold. The benefit is that while most others need to get out and take a warm shower before getting back in, I can stay in the water.

Just food for thought. You might want to pack a wetsuit and leave it in the locker room the first few pool sessions. Just in case.

Back
Top Bottom