Going to twins, best way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not an option, and I’m happy to buy and see how it works. If it doesn’t, I can repurpose the extra tanks for sidemount later. My experience is anything but vast, but the last 10 dives or so there’s not been much to see so I’m looking for new challenges!
You may want to slow down and put another 100 dives on your gear and if you buy a second tank just like the one you have the switch on the boat won’t involve as many changes.

Doubles involve much more than a manifold, you’ll need tank bands and most likely a backplate and wing to clamp it to, I know some B/C’s claim they can take doubles but it’s usually not a good match.

Where are you diving, what part of the world?

I am 5’7”, decent shape but not overly strong. I dive double HP100’s and the biggest issue I have is getting them lifted up and on to the bumper of my car and then down in to the trunk. If you don’t have a lot of upper body strength, that task can be pretty tough. I always ask for help from a buddy when I can get it.

For lugging the tanks around, I would without hesitation recommend the folding hand cart by Cosco in the photo below. I bought mine after recommendation from my tech instructor in an effort to save some effort lugging these heavy ****ers around! I bought it on Amazon for $55. Folds and expands for use in about 5 seconds. Once I get the tanks out of my car on to the cart, I put my dive bag, my AL40 stage, reg bag, and sometimes another set of doubles or another dive bag. I haul all this straight to the dock!

If your charter that you have to walk 10+ minutes to has a good sidewalk or means of walking that isn’t like a sandy beach or loose dirt - but hard material, this cart or some other cart of sorts could be your ticket.

Kyle

*edit - missed your trek is over sand. Would need a cart with beach wheels. Also what the OP said about dexterity/valve drills is true. Some valves are smoother than others to operate, but you may have trouble doing drills and they are a very important skill that is required for diving doubles*

Attachments

• 255037CC-65DE-4234-86AC-BB4846FAA214.jpeg
    255037CC-65DE-4234-86AC-BB4846FAA214.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 120
However, that’s a bit of a derailment of the thread, I’m really just after specifics of what tank I should be buying!

I don't think it's a derailment. You're having trouble manipulating a cam strap and tying knots and to solve the problem you want to go to a twinset. I think you have a bigger challenge that needs your attention.

It's the archer, not the arrow. The painter, not the brush.

I'd go to the gym (and perhaps a personal trainer and/or a physical therapist) for some moderate conditioning knowing that it's very likely to improve my enjoyment of the activity.

By going to a twinset, you may relieve yourself of having to switch tanks but you're going to incur some new challenges with valve drills given your dexterity.

I'd keep it simple and work on getting yourself as fit as possible for the activity rather than pursuing a more complicated equipment solution.

Also, get a beach cart with fat wheels for the sand slog.

Definitely looking into the beach cart. Next time I'm on the ferry I'll see how many steps, and how narrow things are, but I'm actually pretty glad someone suggested that because I did not think about it!

I'll address the physical bit below.

You may want to slow down and put another 100 dives on your gear and if you buy a second tank just like the one you have the switch on the boat won’t involve as many changes.

Doubles involve much more than a manifold, you’ll need tank bands and most likely a backplate and wing to clamp it to, I know some B/C’s claim they can take doubles but it’s usually not a good match.

Where are you diving, what part of the world?

I'm diving in North Queensland, Australia, but in a small town away from any tourist spots. Which is why aluminium cylinders are so pricey - nowhere that sells them offers a good freight deal. All my dives are shallow, 10m or so and at the moment there's not much to see due to huge algal blooms. There's one instructor, but he only offers OWD & AOWD. Most of my dives have been overseas, but I like to keep current so am diving once a week. I'm feeling myself stagnate at the moment as I don't have a goal to work towards.

Now I think people are reading a bit too much into my original post - the bit about strength was meant to be levity/self deprecation. I'm a perfectly fit person, I just look a little stronger than I actually am. I have slight tremors in my hands which gives me dexterity issues - but again they're a minor issue for everything except tying knots which is hugely troublesome for me. I don't expect any issues with shutdown drills (though I've been wrong before).

The reason I am deciding to go twins is mainly "why not?". I want to buy cool stuff to further my hobby, and I was deciding whether to go for a DPV or a twinset as both cost about the same, and twinset won out because it fixes some minor inconveniences in my life whereas a DPV is just cool. I already have the backplate & wing, just need the tanks, bands and manifold.

I appreciate all the responses, I really do but I'm just really looking for advice on what particular cylinder I should go for twins on!

Going to doubles because you don’t like having to swap tanks over isn’t much justification though. Like others have said, you will need more gear. Another reg, manifold, bands, maybe even a backplate/harness. I am not sure what types of dives you like to do and want to do, but unless redundancy is needed (tech diving) I’m not sure I fully understand your need for diving doubles.

In my experience, the Scuba community is very welcoming/supportive of divers that have trouble gearing up or need extra help. Do you have a dive master on your charters that can help swap your tanks over?

I dive HP80 (steel) doubles. Roughly equivalent to 10L tanks. They are lovely for us short people. If you are 5’6” or less, they’d maybe work for you. However, they are short tanks, can make you head heavy, and can be harder to trim out. They are definitely lighter than any other decently sized doubles, though.

Going to doubles because you don’t like having to swap tanks over isn’t much justification though. Like others have said, you will need more gear. Another reg, manifold, bands, maybe even a backplate/harness. I am not sure what types of dives you like to do and want to do, but unless redundancy is needed (tech diving) I’m not sure I fully understand your need for diving doubles.

In my experience, the Scuba community is very welcoming/supportive of divers that have trouble gearing up or need extra help. Do you have a dive master on your charters that can help swap your tanks over?

Okay, I'm really not having any trouble swapping tanks over. Just the most minor of inconveniences. The justification is: I'm bored doing the dives I'm doing and the equipment is interesting. I have no need for doubles. It's a want. In the long term I don't really want to do Tec (in terms of extreme depths or caves) but I want to keep getting interesting equipment and learning how to use it and dive in all sorts of conditions. Perhaps the equipment is just more interesting to me than whats to see on the dives. I don't know.

I dive HP80 (steel) doubles. Roughly equivalent to 10L tanks. They are lovely for us short people. If you are 5’6” or less, they’d maybe work for you. However, they are short tanks, can make you head heavy, and can be harder to trim out. They are definitely lighter than any other decently sized doubles, though.

Interesting. I'm 6"1 and I find the shorter ones making me head heavy makes maintaining trim so much easier! I also like my fat cylinder as it presses against my wing just a little more and makes dumping trapped air easier. Twin 10.5L are absolutely an option too, I just worry about air consumption, but its a needless worry really. They are sold here in an easy twin package (includes manifolds, bands etc) for extremely cheap with free freight so are in fact probably the most cost effective option. Thanks!

Interesting. I'm 6"1 and I find the shorter ones making me head heavy makes maintaining trim so much easier! I also like my fat cylinder as it presses against my wing just a little more and makes dumping trapped air easier. Twin 10.5L are absolutely an option too, I just worry about air consumption, but its a needless worry really. They are sold here in an easy twin package (includes manifolds, bands etc) for extremely cheap with free freight so are in fact probably the most cost effective option. Thanks!

You’d best check the length of them against the tanks you’re currently diving. My HP80s are only 20 inches long. You could very well end up with tanks that are too short for your torso. I’m 5’5”. You’re a good bit taller than I am.

You’d best check the length of them against the tanks you’re currently diving. My HP80s are only 20 inches long. You could very well end up with tanks that are too short for your torso. I’m 5’5”. You’re a good bit taller than I am.

I actually think mine are shorter :p And I really like that. What are the disadvantages to having a tank that's too short for your torso?

I actually think mine are shorter :p And I really like that. What are the disadvantages to having a tank that's too short for your torso?

Off balance, really screw up your trim and weighting. Plus on the boat you wouldn’t be able to sit properly with tanks supported by the rack/bench.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom