Just Earned PADI OWD CERT. What’s Next

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just received my OWD CERT in Jamaica but have been diving on and off for 40 years. Originally had YMCA CERT but lost it. Love diving in Caribbean but want so do some in Boston area. My question is what PADI courses/ certs are suggested next. BTW I learned so much from Mike Nelson on Sea Hunt!!

There's a new england scuba group on FB. Plus a northeast scuba sub forum here. Both of those should give you more local info about shops, sites, conditions, etc. I'm in Maine. Dive mostly warm water now. :)

If you plan on diving much in the NE, sounds like drysuit might be a good next step.

^^^^^ this, good diving up here just a little cold with bad VIS.

There's a new england scuba group on FB. Plus a northeast scuba sub forum here. Both of those should give you more local info about shops, sites, conditions, etc. I'm in Maine. Dive mostly warm water now. :)
Thanks

I just received my OWD CERT in Jamaica but have been diving on and off for 40 years. Originally had YMCA CERT but lost it. Love diving in Caribbean but want so do some in Boston area. My question is what PADI courses/ certs are suggested next. BTW I learned so much from Mike Nelson on Sea Hunt!!

You lost what, your card? One can't lose a cert. Yes, up here a dry suit and buoyancy training, lots of weight required here, trim is tough.

After or as part of drysuit, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DRYSUIT, even in the summer especially if you to go deep.

Other certs depend on what you want to do. Lots of shore diving in cape ann and Rhode island. There are a lot of wrecks from 15 feet to need trimix and a rebreather to do and reefs you can get to from boats if you want to go that route ask the operators about there requirements they might want deep and or advanced for them.

The recreational ones I know of are Boston Scuba in boston, giant stride in Warwick RI, new England dive center which runs it boat out of stoneington CT and the cape ann II out of cape ann MA. I know one other boat but I'm not sure if they do rec dives.

I agree with the drysuit statements. Some people will tell you that you don't need a drysuit around here but they are either in denial or just don't know better. A drysuit allows you to dive year round and winter is when we have the best viz. A few years ago I was doing a dive with my local shop and some loud mouth (I guess there always has to be one in the group) comments on my exposure protection "Get a load of this guy he thinks he's diving in the arctic". I just smiled and said that I don't like being cold. After returning to the parking lot from a really good 65 minute dive, Mr bigmouth was already back and had all of his gear packed up and changed into street clothes. I asked him how come he cut the dive short, the response was priceless, He said "I got cold after about 20 minutes and left the group.". Of course my response was "Maybe you should have dressed like you were diving in the arctic.". Most of the group went on to do a second dive that day which was just as good. Also you may want to join the New England scuba divers group on FB.

After or as part of drysuit, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DRYSUIT, even in the summer especially if you to go deep.

Other certs depend on what you want to do. Lots of shore diving in cape ann and Rhode island. There are a lot of wrecks from 15 feet to need trimix and a rebreather to do and reefs you can get to from boats if you want to go that route ask the operators about there requirements they might want deep and or advanced for them.

The recreational ones I know of are Boston Scuba in boston, giant stride in Warwick RI, new England dive center which runs it boat out of stoneington CT and the cape ann II out of cape ann MA. I know one other boat but I'm not sure if they do rec dives.
Don't forget Captain Steve, formerly of the Cape Ann diver II. scuba diving and SIGHTSEEING 6 PASSENGER BOAT FOR HIRE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom