Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They've opened the port (1:00 PM Sunday Jan 5). Scuba Club is taking a boat out this afternoon.
Great news. Good to see that whoever is acting Port Captain while the new lady is off on her three day break has the authority since the aren't as bad as expected.

Could Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning be possible? I guess it's unlikely if the port captain isn't back to work until Tuesday...

Edit: just saw a 40ft dive boat heading south??
Forecasts are always subject to change, so maybe so. It's good see that this afternoon opened up.

The shop I booked unfortunately isn't going out this afternoon :( I hope this acting PC keeps it open tomorrow!

Good News, for a week out looks like no closures.

Dave Dillehay

The current was interesting today. North to south down to 30'. South to north at the top of the wall and almost no current and variable at 80-110 feet. I'm glad they opened the port. The seas were not that rough today. I left the camera at home but there were some great missed opportunities. A huge puffer took a particular interest in us when we were in the shallows and just swam right up to us within inches and hung out with us for quite some time. Biggest lion fish I've ever seen. Measured six inches tall plus the fins and 20 inches long. Really shocking to see one so big.

The current was interesting today. North to south down to 30'. South to north at the top of the wall and almost no current and variable at 80-110 feet. I'm glad they opened the port. The seas were not that rough today. I left the camera at home but there were some great missed opportunities. A huge puffer took a particular interest in us when we were in the shallows and just swam right up to us within inches and hung out with us for quite some time. Biggest lion fish I've ever seen. Measured six inches tall plus the fins and 20 inches long. Really shocking to see one so big.

The big Lion Fish are the result of their stupid reef closure. They eat all the small fish that keep the green Algae in check—and that hurts the corals. I knew that would be one of the unintended consequences of the closure. Hurting the corals: Bad on them!

Dave Dillehay

Any bets as to whether the port will be closed tomorrow since wind forecast is for the high teens?

Any bets as to whether the port will be closed tomorrow since wind forecast is for the high teens?
Looks iffy, huh, depending on much change there is from forecasts. Thursday and beyond looks good...

upload_2020-1-7_12-37-52.png

It’s about the direction not the speed - if winds are truly NE seas should be flat

It’s about the direction not the speed - if winds are truly NE seas should be flat
Yeah, that 6am turn on Windguru will make all the difference. If it swings more easterly, great. If it doesn't, boo hoo.

So what did the Port Captain have to say today about closing so early the other day?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom