Any good dive Sites in New Jersey or Lake Erie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm pretty new to scuba diving in general and have only been on a few dives. I was wondering if there are any good dives around New Jersey or Lake Erie, since I've heard that there are some decent shipwrecks around there. I am taking the Advanced Open Water course this spring and was hoping to use it closer to home instead of waiting for my next vacation to the Caribbean. Any word about sites, dive charters, or anything about diving in those areas would be appreciated.

Dutch Springs is a quarry near you. Season starts in March, I believe. Jersey shore has diving (and guidos).

Lake Erie - Tons of amazing (but "deep") wreck diving. Best location convenient to you is Barcelona Harbor, home of Osprey Charters. Though thing is, wrecks start in the 80-90' depth range, and go whole hog beyond recreational limits. Little to no shallow stuff, and that stuff is simply pounded to just timber piles. The charter typically is booked by shops doing trips, with very little "walk on" charters anymore. Look up Osprey Charters, and peruse their site. There are great descriptions of the wrecks they go to. You will need AOW, and be very self sufficient (gear and ability) diving with them. They are excellent. Dive schedule begins in late May/early June after ice is gone, and moorings can be set.

As a new diver, I might recommend a trip up to Tobermory (Georgian Bay, Canada). Tons of shallow wrecks and convenient walk on charters to get your feet wet and begin to build your abilities.

Good luck, and have fun!

NJ shore diving:
(Northen NJ)
Allenhurst Jetty- Open Atlantic. Sheltered L shape jetty for easy entry. Basic sand bottom
Manasquan Inlet--Not allowed in summer except at night--must be slack tide
Manasquan River Railroad Bridge--OK. maybe 15-20'. Salt water (tidal)
MaClearie Park -- easy entry. 15'.. Lots of spider crabs, not much else.
NJ has a scuba forum.

Check out the New York City Sea Gypsies: Home
They offer a 2-3 day Introduction to Northeast Wreck Diving weekend of mentoring/training at Dutch Springs, followed by a mentored dive trip on some of the closer/shallower wrecks off the northern New Jersey coast. I joined up and did it with them last season and it was a great experience and I'll probably repeat if I can this year.
The also offer MANY club-sponsored dives off the New Jersey and Long Island coasts all through the season.
@doctormike is the the dive chair and @NYCNaiad is the social chair.

Who are you doing AOW with?

I think that NJ shore (and Long Island shore) wreck diving is some of the best in the world. Lots of Philadelphia divers come to NJ for a day of diving, pretty hard to do that with Lake Erie.

A phenomenal number of wrecks, most "real" with fascinating stories. A lot of WW2 was fought right off our shores. Plus, incredible sea life. I saw a humpback whale while on the ascent line this year! Mola Mola, sharks, and lots of other fish, lobsters etc. The shore diving is easy and teeming with life as well, juvenile ocean fish, sea horses, pipefish, etc...

If you only have a few dives, you might find it challenging, and you should get some good mentoring with a local diver in addition to just getting the cards. But some people who grew up in our area have never dived anywhere else.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions that you don't want to post here...

I think that NJ shore (and Long Island shore) wreck diving is some of the best in the world. Lots of Philadelphia divers come to NJ for a day of diving, pretty hard to do that with Lake Erie.

A phenomenal number of wrecks, most "real" with fascinating stories. A lot of WW2 was fought right off our shores. Plus, incredible sea life. I saw a humpback whale while on the ascent line this year! Mola Mola, sharks, and lots of other fish, lobsters etc. The shore diving is easy and teeming with life as well, juvenile ocean fish, sea horses, pipefish, etc...

If you only have a few dives, you might find it challenging, and you should get some good mentoring with a local diver in addition to just getting the cards. But some people who grew up in our area have never dived anywhere else.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions that you don't want to post here...
You are talking about actual shore dives or boat rides to wrecks close to shore?

If you’re looking to dive in NJ waters are as a new diver I would suggest linking up with a local club. NJ diving can be challenging, especially when compared to the Caribbean. Having some fellow members to mentor you can be extremely valuable. Even just having a known dive buddy will be huge. Many times on NJ boats if you show up solo you are diving solo.

Many times the clubs and local shops book boats well in advance, so space can be limited and hard to get. Its easier if you’re in a club or going through a shop And some shops will offer a paid DM to go with you.

Belmar and Point Pleasant have lots of loons for boats. The AC area has options too. It depend what part of Philly you are in, it’s either Expressway or 195.

Who are you doing your AOW with?

Back
Top Bottom