When to go to Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am hoping to go to Sharm soon. Never been there before. Could get last minute opportunity for a live aboard this month. What it the diving like there in January versus other times? (Obviously colder in the winter, but I mean besides that), as in viz, marine life, etc. Also, as a woman, do I need to obtain a hijab? Other modest clothing?

You do not need a hijab or scarf in Egypt. Sharm is a touristy place, so you’ll be fine as long as you wear something (but you can choose to cover shoulders and knees) For LOB no need to worry at all.

We did a 3 day LOB out of Sharm in December 2008, and it was fine. Back then we saw more sharks/rays than on our LOB in August 2018. I used my 7 mm suit in December and was fine.

If you are going in January, the water will be at its coldest (21-25 C). I was chilly in a 5 mm wetsuit, with a hooded vest. It is common to see people diving in dry suits especially if they are doing 3-4 dives per day on a live-aboard.

I lived in the Middle East for 17 years and you do not need a hijab or any other head covering (unless you intend to visit a mosque). Modest clothing is welcomed most locals but they have seen lots of skin since Sharm is a popular tourist destination! A wrap or light skirt to the knee or below, and a light blouse with over the shoulder sleeves will get you through most situations. While on the boat or in a resort, you can remove layers.

However, in January, the weather will be chilly so bring top-side layers to stay warm after your dives. I packed a Northface Primaloft lightweight jacket and used it on my surface intervals.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best

GJS

If you are going in January, the water will be at its coldest (21-25 C). I was chilly in a 5 mm wetsuit, with a hooded vest. It is common to see people diving in dry suits especially if they are doing 3-4 dives per day on a live-aboard.

I lived in the Middle East for 17 years and you do not need a hijab or any other head covering (unless you intend to visit a mosque). Modest clothing is welcomed most locals but they have seen lots of skin since Sharm is a popular tourist destination! A wrap or light skirt to the knee or below, and a light blouse with over the shoulder sleeves will get you through most situations. While on the boat or in a resort, you can remove layers.

However, in January, the weather will be chilly so bring top-side layers to stay warm after your dives. I packed a Northface Primaloft lightweight jacket and used it on my surface intervals.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best

GJS
Thanks for reply! I read where there are whale sharks in March-May, hammerheads in the summer. How likely would you say such sightings are from live aboard? Any live aboard suggestions?

Summer is the best time for diving Egypt in general and Sinai in particular, mid June to mid August. A place like RasMo is quite a difference compared to other times of year. Winter ”dead”.
Hammerheads unusual but the best chance is July/August in the Tiran Strait when current is running. Whalesharks ... very unusual. I have seen two over 17 liveaboards and landbased trips too (all over Egypt and Sudan) in 20+ years. Blue o two is my current choice. Emperor good to as is Sinai Divers.

Am hoping to go to Sharm soon. Also, as a woman, do I need to obtain a hijab? Other modest clothing?
While it is a tourist destination and western standards are the norm on boats and at resorts, you should consider more conservative attire if you are planning to dine at non-resort restaurants that cater to Egyptian clientele. It is the right thing to do.

While it is a tourist destination and western standards are the norm on boats and at resorts, you should consider more conservative attire if you are planning to dine at non-resort restaurants that cater to Egyptian clientele. It is the right thing to do.
Summer is the best time for diving Egypt in general and Sinai in particular, mid June to mid August. A place like RasMo is quite a difference compared to other times of year. Winter ”dead”.
Hammerheads unusual but the best chance is July/August in the Tiran Strait when current is running. Whalesharks ... very unusual. I have seen two over 17 liveaboards and landbased trips too (all over Egypt and Sudan) in 20+ years. Blue o two is my current choice. Emperor good to as is Sinai Divers.
When you say winter is “dead,” can you give more detail? Do fish leave the area? Do you just mean RasMo? I don’t know what other places are “like RasMo” and so don’t know how big of a disadvantage it would be. If I don’t see hammerheads or whale sharks that’s ok, but I don’t want go in winter if it’s going to be little or none of everything. Also I HATE to be hot, so don’t want to be sweltering on deck in the summer.

My wife chose to wear a simple headscarf at such places, including when we visited mosques, though all were well on the beaten tourist path. She just felt it was extra respectful. A middle eastern friend showed her how to tie it.

As for diving in January, expect windy conditions. We used drysuits, but we were the only ones on the boat that did not use wetsuits. It was not so much the air temperature as the wind that chilled people, especially on the RIB ride back to the liveaboard.

... Also I HATE to be hot, so don’t want to be sweltering on deck in the summer.

Well, summer in Egypt means 40° C (104° F) and more on land, even at the shore.
If you are on a LOB you may get the advantages of some cool wind on deck but this will only cool you down while sweltering in the sun.
We tend to avoid direct sun exposure. Downside is that after one week you still get asked if you arrived yesterday... ;-)

Fishs and corals will be there at any season but perhaps not the big ones like the hammerheads and the whale sharks, which are quite unlikely anyway.
If you can enjoy diving colourfull riffs then you will be fine. If you are only up to see fishs bigger than you, it may be disappointing.

For the wetsuits, it depends how you feel cold. Usual suits are 5 mm but a lot of people are taking 7 mm when water is down below 25° C.

When you say winter is “dead,” can you give more detail? Do fish leave the area? Do you just mean RasMo? I don’t know what other places are “like RasMo” and so don’t know how big of a disadvantage it would be. If I don’t see hammerheads or whale sharks that’s ok, but I don’t want go in winter if it’s going to be little or none of everything. Also I HATE to be hot, so don’t want to be sweltering on deck in the summer.

In general there’s a difference in sea life over the year and in Egypt summer reaches tropical water temperatures and life intensifiy. Very pronounced in RasMo which peaks in july summer and there are a lot more fish then. Schools of snapper, travelly and sometimes barracuda. So yes, a big difference.

EDIT: I’m Scandinavian so not very used to warmth, but it is a dry heat. Not a humid, sticky Florida or SEA heat. I normally always go in summer unless my plan is OWT sightings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom