Never been to Europe, considering Italy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would you say these places compare to Florida, to North/South Carolina, to Caribbean?
Sorry, never been there...
But I worked at Maldives as DM/Instructor, in the eighties. At that time Maldives were far better. I went back to Maldives one year ago, and it was a delusion: the coral is bleached, the fish banks reduced terribly, the colours are gone...
After this bad experience I dove at Isola del Giglio and Panarea, and I found both sites slightly better than today's Maldives... Indeed, also here the situation worstened in the years: the Pinna Nobilis are all dead, sea urchins almost disappeared, and even the gorgonias are suffering...
Perhaps there are still places, around the world, as beautiful as Maldives were in the eighties, but I do not know where they are. I was on the Australian Great Barrier, in Cairns, in 2007, and it was worst than in Italy, apart for the sharks.

Based on my - albeit limited - experience with Italian ops and various news stories, I'd recommend that you do your due diligence about safe practice. I'd also recommend sticking to your guns if you're expected to do something which goes against your gut feeling or safe diving practices. Like entering caves with single tank rigs, only one light per diver, no guideline and no tech/overhead training.

Since Scapa Flow is not Italy, are you implying that the diving around Italy isn’t great? What can you tell me about Malta, Gozo, Corsica, And Sardinia?

No, but if you are coming to Europe there are choice. I really fancy Portofino for example.

The Med is not superficially as good as the Caribbean mostly. It is on a spectrum between proper North Atlantic conditions such as the UK and places with coral reefs such as Egypt. A lot of the life has been eaten. On the other had it has lots of history. There are wrecks and some marine parks with more life. The geology is more interesting than many places.

Corsica and Sardinia both have reserves. In Europe fishing pressure has been intense and marine reserves have much more life than places which are visited by the sophisticated vessels we see today. Gozo and Malta or ok for life, but it is never like Indonesia, Egypt or the Caribbean, well, it is like the places there that are not so good.

For Gozo talk to Pete Underwater photography courses (his wife runs a dive centre but I forget its name) for Malta Dive Deep Blue Malta - PADI and BSAC Scuba Diving Center

Follow this link to a list of centres in mostly European destinations

Resort Centres

For us it is much closer, you are in Europe and not too worried about dealing with Mexican, Egyptian or SE Asian standards. On shore is generally very nice and you are not exploiting people.

Northern Europe doesn't sell itself on sun, life and so forth. It has wrecks most of all but also spectacular underwater features if you go to the right place.

These guys will take you to the Scapa wrecks, spectacular geology in Shetland and if you tickle them just right, Norway. Award winning Orkney diving charter Scapa Flow, Shetland and Norway. See also Halton Charters – Scotland and Norway Liveaboard Dive Charter and http://www.scapascuba.co.uk/ Scapa Scuba used to do guided dives, you may be able to hire kit - they make drysuits. Generally though you need to be a proper grown up diver. Valkyrie still has a few spaces for 2020. Find them on Facebook.

In Ireland https://oceanaddicts.ie/ offer full service, B&B, boat, kit hire, instruction and even guiding. Irish life is like UK life but the lobsters are bigger as there is a no take policy.

See Paul Naylor's books https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-British-Marine-Animals-Naylor/dp/0952283166 Look Inside (tm) should give an idea of what you can see.

In summary, Europe cannot be compared to places with coral. It is a different sort of experience. Like soup and cake.

The food is probably a hell of a lot better.

I've had really bad Italian food in Italy. Chef Boyardee would have been better. It was only one time, but it was the one time I didn't research the restaurant.

I’ve never been to Europe, am considering a trip to Italy. Of course we would want to do other things too, but the quality of the diving is essential. What is it like? For comparison purposes, I’ve been to Florida, Carribean locations, and wrecks of North and South Carolina.

I live in southern Italy, new to scuba but I may suggest a few places here.

The season is key. During the winter many diving centers do stop their activities. Suggestion: come and visit Sicily during the summer.

Small isles around Sicily do offer spectacular spots to visit: Ustica, Linosa and Marettimo are so cool!
I've been told the Pavlov V wreck in Trapani is interesting.

Maybe you will accept some compromises regarding diving centers' "quality", but the spots to visit are awesome.

Suggestion: come and visit Sicily during the summer.

Small isles around Sicily do offer spectacular spots to visit: Ustica, Linosa and Marettimo are so cool

I second these suggestions entirely.... There are wonderful diving sites in these small islands around Sicily.
I would add Favignana (secca del Toro is one of the best dives of my life), Pantelleria (Punta Spadillo) and Panarea, where you can dive in a vulcanic area with bubbles coming out of the sea bed.
In some of these sites you can rent a zodiac, a couple of cylinders, and spend the whole day on the sea, managing yourself where to go. Diving will be just part of the experience, and at the end of the day you will realize to have got one of the best days of your life.
I do not like too much being packed with others on a boat.

If you do go to Italy for diving, you should definitely set aside some time for sightseeing, and enjoying the magnificent variety of things to see and do. The Italian people, food, wine, culture, and historic sites make Italy one of my favorite countries, a place I have visited many times, and always look forward to the next trip.

Back
Top Bottom