Snorkel cracking pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the Aqualung dry snorkel you describe, and got it because it has a GoPro attachment on the bottom of the snorkel. I took it into the river last summer with my GoPro attached, and it was fine as long as I stayed on the surface. Then I surface dived down to anpbout 23 feet, and as I got to the bottom the snorkel tried to suck my tongue out into the tube--I didn't like that, and spit out the snorkel while on the bottom. That messed up the video a bit.

When you completely seal the snorkel, the tube is then exposed to the same treasure differentials as any closed system, and it there is an opening, it tries to fill it to equalize the pressure. So you can say that there is now a thing called a "Snorkel Squeeze" because of these dry snorkels.

I took this snorkel home, heated it with hot water, and took the top off. I then evaluated it without the top, and found that the non-return is not as well-designed as their Impulse snorkel, and leaves some water in the bottom when cleared. I removed it b y closing the top and blowing, which is a good way to clear these snorkels of small amounts of water. Please look at the VSS website link above for more comments on many different snorkels.

John
Okay, you made look... again...
I find no Aqualung snorkels with any GoPro attachment on them. Maybe someone other than Aqualung?

Okay, you made look... again...
I find no Aqualung snorkels with any GoPro attachment on them. Maybe someone other than Aqualung?
You must not have looked too hard.
Designed for thrill-seekers ready to bring their action camera on their next aquatic adventure, the Recife LX snorkeling set offers a custom design you won't find anywhere else. The GoPro™ Ready Mantis Snorkel features an integrated camera mount that keeps the camera in the water while snorkeling. When you're ready for a snorkeling set tailor-made for capturing your underwater memories, you're ready for the GoPro Ready, Recife LX snorkeling set.

Mantis Snorkel:
  • Integrated, GoPro® Ready camera mount (camera not included)
  • Submersible, dry-top design to keep water out of the breathing tube above and below the surface
  • Ergonomic silicone mouthpiece
  • Flex section for maximum comfort and smooth fit
  • One-way purge valve

The Impulse snorkel has now, apparently, been replaced by the Senora Snorkel, with "Hydro-Adhesion Splash Guard Technology."
Sonora - Aqua Lung Sport - US

By the way, the Impulse Snorkel is a creation of Tony Christianson, who also created the Scubapro Pilot regulator. He patented the Impulse Snorkle concept:
US7909030B2 - Elliptical purge valve for snorkels - Google Patents

US6513520B2 - Snorkel system - Google Patents

Here's a description of our snorkeling in Hawaii last spring:
http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/thread/5007/tony-christiansons-usd-impulse-snorkel

SeaRat

I use the Mako snorkel I got from www.MakoSpearGuns.com :

MFSES-2T.jpg

It's a no-nonsense snorkel that's plenty dry after you clear it.

You must not have looked too hard.

The Impulse snorkel has now, apparently, been replaced by the Senora Snorkel, with "Hydro-Adhesion Splash Guard Technology."
Sonora - Aqua Lung Sport - US

By the way, the Impulse Snorkel is a creation of Tony Christianson, who also created the Scubapro Pilot regulator. He patented the Impulse Snorkle concept:
US7909030B2 - Elliptical purge valve for snorkels - Google Patents

Here's a description of our snorkeling in Hawaii last spring:
http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/thread/5007/tony-christiansons-usd-impulse-snorkel

SeaRat

Ahh.... Aqualung Sport. I did look in my AQ Sport Dealers Guide from 2019, (2020 not out yet...) but it isn't in there.
Either it was added mid-year, or more likely it is one of the items that they make and package exclusively for sporting goods stores, and which are not available to dive shops.

Thanks.

Ahh.... Aqualung Sport. I did look in my AQ Sport Dealers Guide from 2019, (2020 not out yet...) but it isn't in there.
Either it was added mid-year, or more likely it is one of the items that they make and package exclusively for sporting goods stores, and which are not available to dive shops.

Thanks.
I got mine at Goodwill. I've found Goodwill to be a great source of snorkeling gear, as a lot of folks pick up snorkeling gear, take their vacation, and move on. They then give it away to Goodwill. I think my Aqualung snorkel was somewhere around $6. I also think that Aqualung has two lines of gear, one which is in places like CostCo, and one for pro dive shops. I highly recommend that people who are serious about snorkeling, especially for masks, get them from a dive shop. We did that with Chris' new mask. I've seen department store masks, which look great, have a strap buckle break from normal wear. It has a plastic retaining rod, rather than a stainless steel retaining rod, for the mask strap. I got the snorkels from Goodwill because I could then evaluate what these vacationers are actually using, and finding the limitations of that gear. Two of my best snorkels are Farallon and Scubapro straight J-snorkels that were manufactured well over twenty years ago. The masks below are vintage, and the top snorkel is a different one; it is a AMF Voit snorkel with a rounded top, and in order to use it correctly it must be on the right side of the mask, not the left.

Here is Chris and me snorkeling on Maui, Hawaii last spring, me with my Scubapro tri-view mask and Shotgun snorkel and Chris with her new mask and Impulse snorkel.
47110266434_2d671d2202_b.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.04.44 PM by John Ratliff, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 63
  • _MG_6754.JPG
    _MG_6754.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 103
Tusa Hyperdry doesn't seem to restrict my breathing any more than a J-snorkel. Really dry. I've ended up with a bunch of them because they come with the mask, which is my favorite.

Tusa Hyperdry doesn't seem to restrict my breathing any more than a J-snorkel. Really dry. I've ended up with a bunch of them because they come with the mask, which is my favorite.
I think TUSA uses their Hyperdry brand pretty widely in their snorkel line. Current on their website are 4 snorkels, 3 of which say Hyperdry. Only one is a dry snorkel. The other two are semi-dry, which usually do NOT contribute to added work of breathing.

And to be clear, many folks using a dry snorkel do not notice the difference unless you point it out to them and compare side-by-side. And even then they may not notice much of a difference, if at all. (usually it is when you are swimming/breathing hard that you notice the added resistance to flow from the turbulence created by the mechanisms and small angular openings) But there are definitely others that can tell the difference right away, and are better off steering clear of a dry snorkel.

I think TUSA uses their Hyperdry brand pretty widely in their snorkel line. Current on their website are 4 snorkels, 3 of which say Hyperdry. Only one is a dry snorkel. The other two are semi-dry, which usually do NOT contribute to added work of breathing.

And to be clear, many folks using a dry snorkel do not notice the difference unless you point it out to them and compare side-by-side. And even then they may not notice much of a difference, if at all. (usually it is when you are swimming/breathing hard that you notice the added resistance to flow from the turbulence created by the mechanisms and small angular openings) But there are definitely others that can tell the difference right away, and are better off steering clear of a dry snorkel.
I'm talking about the dry one. Because of the price, free, I've used them quite a bit. I notice no resistance and like them.

Back
Top Bottom