What is the best computer that meets this criteria...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#shearwaterTeric
Shearwater's Teric doesn't have a user replaceable battery. Shearwater wants you to take it to a dealer who will then mail the thing to shearwater for $100.

I think the Shearwater Perdix ai is probably the closest computer to meeting all of the criteria set by @Andrew Dawson . If he could forego the replaceable battery then the Teric fits the bill nicely. If he can forego the "watch style" requirement then the best fit is Perdix.

Personally, I wouldn't consider an Oceanic, Aqualung, or or Deep6 unless your budget is just too tight to spend any more. Those are all okay to get you by until you can afford something better... but that's as far as I'd go.

Shearwater's Teric doesn't have a user replaceable battery. Shearwater wants you to take it to a dealer who will then mail the thing to shearwater for $100.

I think the Shearwater Perdix ai is probably the closest computer to meeting all of the criteria set by @Andrew Dawson . If he could forego the replaceable battery then the Teric fits the bill nicely. If he can forego the "watch style" requirement then the best fit is Perdix.

Personally, I wouldn't consider an Oceanic, Aqualung, or or Deep6 unless your budget is just too tight to spend any more. Those are all okay to get you by until you can afford something better... but that's as far as I'd go.

OP said he didn’t need AI. If that’s the case, then he could look for a used Perdix without AI.

I wouldn't worry about wearing it constantly. Sounds like a good idea, but I quickly realized that except on a dive vacation, it stayed with my gear. Even on vacation it was easier to just wear my normal digital wrist watch. Also, I would not want to damage an expensive DC by wearing it daily.

Does the Deep6 have a better reliability record than Suunto?

Well... we use a well known and tested algorithm (ZHL-16C) instead of a constantly changing RGBM variant, and we haven't had a class action lawsuit about our depth sensors if that is what you mean.

I think it is important to have a look at what the OP's requirements are, and the intended use. Sometimes the 'best' or 'better' may just be excessive overkill. Given he listed Nitrox as something that was not necessary, and does not plan on doing any tech dives, it is possible that spending so much money on a computer that does multi-gas Trimix just doesn't make sense.

Either way, based on his requirements below, ours does not have a user replaceable battery. However, the rechargeable battery will last for years, and we could replace the battery for you at minimal cost if needed.

Wrist mount
Watch like (can be worn at all times)
Nitrox (not necessary)
User replaceable batts or solar
Robust (known brand)
I'm not picky of the bubble model as long as it can be used adjusted for how conservative it is (not super necessary)

Any ideas? Been a decade since I have been looking at dive computers lol

TIA!!

I am no longer tec diving and have no plans to dive tec in the future...so...advanced features do not interest me, unfortunately, Lostdiver71.

I do not need air integration, either.
Great and quick responses so far, wow!!

Alright...anyone other options?

Any pics of the Deep Six Excursion on a wrist...so I can see the size, please?
browse through this thread where many of use that recently bought one have discussed it:

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

if you want to cut right to it there are pics on page 5, 12, and 14, and some more further along.

There is the TUSA IQ 1204 Solar Link on sale at LeisurePro for $649.95, it is Solar rechargeable. The Sherwood Amphos 2.0 or the Cressi Newton, the Newton is on sale for $299.99 or $319.95 with the download kit

Why wouldn't you consider Oceanic, I have been using one for about a decade with no issues including lite deco diving.

Tusa Talis for $220.00
Oceanic Veo 2 for $230.00
Leisurepro

Eh...$500 is not competitive enough for me at this time. It also says dealer replaceable battery....though...the battery is off the shelf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom