New to DFW area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
New to the DFW area and looking for dive buddies and places locally. I was certified about 2 years ago but have done a lot of diving in that time, including a week in Honduras with WAVES Project and our group of disabled veterans. Wanting to lean more to the tech diving side but just want to get out and dive whatever it might be!

DFW has a GUE presence if you’re interested in getting more technical.

local diving has a decent number of site options. Should be a couple threads listing them.

Check with Grapevine Scuba, just south of you, and see if Diercoff is still teaching tech. I took his class a few years back, but not sure if he is still teaching.

howdy and welcome from southeast Florida...

Welcome!

Recently “Clear Springs Scuba Park” in Terrell was bought and has been upgraded a bit and renamed as the “Scuba Ranch” - it’s where I dive locally and I can recommend it. There is also Athens but I rarely go because it maxes out at around 25’-30’ and is further away. Still good to visit at least 1-2x for some variety though!

For shops (gear) I recommend/prefer “ScubaToys” in Carrollton. I’ve used every shop here at least 1-2x and they are who I’ve settled in with. Great people and service.

For training I used International Scuba before it was sold to Rich and loved it/highly recommended it. I’m sure he is doing a great job there as well now as the owner and would be fairly close to you in Denton.

Recently “Clear Springs Scuba Park” in Terrell was bought and has been upgraded a bit and renamed as the “Scuba Ranch” -

Not to hijack the thread, but what has been upgraded about CSSP - SR?

When I lived in the DFW area I went with the first group who surveyed the quarry, then latter helped putting in platforms. I still remember the days when there were no shaded covers and you had to bring a popup cover. It has been a long while since I've been out there.

The new owners have done quite a bit of landscaping/brushhog/cleaning up work around the waters edge/perimeter, re-done the entrance shop/area and the airfill/gear rental area, added an area for swimmers (like a small “beach” area if I remember correctly) and added kayaks/paddle boards and are in the process of adding an aerator device of some type to improve the visibility and reduce the intensity of the thermoclines somehow. They have also either added a better thermometer or are just better at reporting/updating the current temps much more often/consistently.

There are (still) multiple covered gazebos/etc. out there that are In excellent condition that are owned(?) by most of the local dive shops and they have also ran a few new lines between several of the platforms/spruced up things a bit underwater. We have definitely noticed an improvement since the ownership change and enjoy diving there.

Edit: If anyone here ever needs an instabuddy for the day/help finding the place/etc let me know, I’m always happy to go put in another dive out there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom