AOW Complete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on your aow. Night dives are sweet, hope you enjoyed.

I wouldn’t replace, just add. Each tool has its function, although some uses overlap.

I started with the BFK, and since added shears, Trilobite line cutter, and small sharp knife over time. None are located together so one should be accessible if entangled. Other implements of destruction come and go, as needed.

Some of the paranoia is because I’m a solo diver, the rest I was born with. YMMV

Bob

We dove solo for a lot of our deployments. I used to look like a walking cutter( two bfk, shears, and a seat belt cutter). I don't dive black water anymore, and dont require the level of chop and slash I used to cutting bodies out of things, or myself.

I occasionally carry a medium sized titanium knife NOT on my leg( I've given my justification) if I need the utility underwater, I just have never found anything in common usage the cutters wont cover, even if I'm alone, bot that's fine enough im going to be cutting it.

I've actually replaced my shears with the seatbelts cutter style trilobite cutters. They're smaller, and work pretty well.

I tried a couple of those, but I don’t like them as well. And, they can still take two hands to use.

Like a lot, I started with a BFK, but have gone to a slightly smaller knife. It might be a bit shorter than my original, but not much. It is, however, much thinner with a very low profile, bare metal handle. Risk of entanglement with this is much reduced from my original setup. I don't dive in restrictions, so risk of entanglement is pretty low. Fishing line and anchor line/crab pot line is about all I come across. I also added EMT shears. Those are in a pocket on my BC shoulder strap. Far enough away from the knife. If, for some reason, I can't reach one, I should be able to reach the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom