delayed bags - impact on liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happened to a friend of ours in Belize many years ago. She just used rental gear and the airline delivered the gear a couple days into the trip. Even liveaboards have swimsuits and t-shirts available on board so the only reason to dive naked is by choice.:yeahbaby::happywave:

Happened to a friend of ours in Belize many years ago. She just used rental gear and the airline delivered the gear a couple days into the trip. Even liveaboards have swimsuits and t-shirts available on board so the only reason to dive naked is by choice.:yeahbaby::happywave:
Egg-zackly

I'm quite happy to dive naked if it comes down to missing a trip.

Note to self. Never go on the same liveaboard with Frank.

It was OP's first lob, solo. It's understandable to me, that OP may not have been aware. Must have been stressful

It was OP's first lob, solo. It's understandable to me, that OP may not have been aware. Must have been stressful
The OP did show up early, so there was definitely planning in advance. I would have expected that to be enough. It makes me also question how I early I should fly from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia. I'm sure they'd hold the boat if all the customers are not there, but.... Maybe plan on a week before/after. If you cannot fly, you cannot fly.

The OP did show up early, so there was definitely planning in advance. I would have expected that to be enough. It makes me also question how I early I should fly from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia. I'm sure they'd hold the boat if all the customers are not there, but.... Maybe plan on a week before/after. If you cannot fly, you cannot fly.

I generally just give it an extra day on either end. On my first ever lob trip, I arrived by air the day of sailing and flew out the day of offboarding.

Nothing went wrong except that I felt like crap the first few days and decided that I wasn't going to do that ever again. Too big of a waste of time, money dives and overall enjoyment. I'd much rather pay that tiny bit extra in the big scheme of things, in order to enjoy the whole trip.

If there's some reason that I can't fly out after 24 hours from last dive, then I've got bigger problems than worrying about making my flight out.

When doing pre-trip planning for departure, I care more about flight times and layover schedules, pricing. Then, determine which flight home suits me best.

Reactions: Doc
Have had bags delayed several days but was in Lembeh before liveaboard so bags caught up before the liveaboard.

have loaned spare gear to others who have waited for luggage.

always build in a few days local diving before a liveaboard if at all possible to recover from jet lag and make sure my bags arrive. Liveaboards are too expensive to jump directly from a long flight into diving. I need a day or two to recover and a couple of shore dives or local boat dives makes sure everything is working as it should.

I also carry essentials like regs, mask and computer in carryon. Everything else can usually be rented.

How unlucky you were:-/

We mostly arrive the day of the LOB or maximum the day before, never had delayed luggage (lucky us), but we pack masks, regulators, dive computers and cameras in hand luggage along with swim wear, a sarong and basic toiletries.

For next time: all you need on a LOB is your swim suit and toiletries. And even that you can just buy on site, especially in Egypt, really no need to miss your LOB.

If doing some land-based touring is part of the plan, I do it before the liveaboard rather than after. I did that in Egypt and Bali among other places. But as I said above, luggage arriving more than three days late is very rare. It seems reasonable to believe that by that time it will either have arrived or effectively be lost forever. But with three days to yourself, you could easily buy some clothes.

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom