PADI - DM active vs inactive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
Hoping some of you can provide clarity.

What are the benefits for a DM to remain in active status?
The reason for my question is that I am aware of an inactive DM working as a DM at a resort. This person is the only qualified SCUBA professional on staff. The offer lodge offers refreshers, DSD's and DM lead dives.
Should the DM be working as a DM if not in active status?

Maybe just contact PADI so they can follow up and see whats going on at that location.

Again, I've been inactive 7 weeks but the answer is OBVIOUS. REMAIN ACTIVE IF YOU WILL BE PAID! Why else would you PAY PADI dues? I quit the Musicians Union (AF of M) after 35 years because the jobs I played no longer were supported by the AFM. You can always get your "active" status back by doing something really simple online. Am I wrong? And NEVER work as a DM without being PAID by the owner/Captain.
depending on how long you were inactive, you may have to repeat parts of the course with an instructor.

depending on how long you were inactive, you may have to repeat parts of the course with an instructor.
Out of curiosity, do you know of any specific timelines on this?

Out of curiosity, do you know of any specific timelines on this?
yes, although its flexible. If you're 1-2 years out paying your dues, it seems getting current suffices. I had someone more than 3 years and he had to do dive theory online and a skills and rescue refresher to get reinstated. And EFR.

I looked thru the standards last night and I really didn’t see any definition of how long you could be inactive and what it took to reinstate......

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to Scubaboard. I see you just joined today and this is your first post.
I am wondering if they let it slip the DM was inactive or how you found out?
Most people are not aware that inactive status is even a thing so you must have some knowledge of the pro side of diving.
Have you read any of the posts in the thumbs down section? There are many there like this.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm not particularly good at sniffing out those with ulterior motives but there is a strange odor here...

I looked thru the standards last night and I really didn’t see any definition of how long you could be inactive and what it took to reinstate......

I considered reactivating several years ago. No one could tell me exactly what was needed other than CPR renewal. I even called PADI and they suggesting contact a dive shop and talk to them. They would not talk specifics. I even renewed with PADI and still no answer.

One shop I frequented said they could easily do it, and suggested I roll it up into upgrading to instructor.

No one wanted to say, but it seemed like they expect the course to be taken over again. They just don’t want to say that out loud.

Sorry of this is off topic but I'm unable to start a new thread and cannot find the answer anywhere.

I have a questions regarding PADI Divemaster renewal fees;

If I pass my DM course in November then pay the fees to PADI do I then need to pay the renewal fees again in January?

That is the impression I'm getting and it seems incredibly unfair. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance
Why not wait to submit paperwork to January? Pay fee and insurance if working as a DM good for a year now

that's what I meant by flexible. You need to reach out to padi for their verdict

I considered reactivating several years ago. No one could tell me exactly what was needed other than CPR renewal. I even called PADI and they suggesting contact a dive shop and talk to them. They would not talk specifics. I even renewed with PADI and still no answer.

One shop I frequented said they could easily do it, and suggested I roll it up into upgrading to instructor.

No one wanted to say, but it seemed like they expect the course to be taken over again. They just don’t want to say that out loud.
Hmmm. Kinda vague. Maybe I've seen that before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom