New Regs, Atomic Z3, Hog d3, Deep6 Scribble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have two sets of regs for my wife and I, both are Aeris A400 with Atmos Sport seconds. We have around 100 dives on the sets, and am looking at getting them serviced. Now that Aeris has been discontinued, it isn't as easy to get serviced as it was previously. I have found a shop that has the parts in stock to do the service, but I am worried I will be stuck with regs that are getting ever harder to support in the future. I am thinking of replacing them with something better, with better expected support longevity, and not ridiculously expensive. I have found the regs in the title, all within about $100 to $150 of each other for the first and second stage. Will I notice a big difference in performance with one of the above setups? Any reason to spend the $100 to $150 more for the Atomic over the Deep 6 or Hog? Thanks.

I’m a fan of Atomic and they are very easy to service but they are now owned by Huish so parts have been a bit harder to come across, not a big deal for someone who uses a shop for maintenance. I’m not positive but the other tow options are very similar to one another and service parts aren’t as restricted or not restricted at all.

I’ve switched pretty much to diaphragm first stages because they are sealed in the main working area and all of the ones I used are also sealed completely. I used Atomic firsts because they can also be sealed and I have the tools needed for that but I only have a few piston regs left in my shop a T2 for travel and a MK 25 on a pony and a Z2 in a box someplace.

All good choices.

For the price of the Deep6 regs, you could buy new ones when needed, and sell the old ones on ebay.

Check with your local Oceanic dealer, many Aeris products are just relabeled Oceanic and use the same parts. If you speak to the service tech he should be able to confirm if your regulator uses the same parts kit as the equivalent Oceanic regulator.

I have both atomic regs and deep 6 regs. I like them both. I personally find that the atomic regs breath slightly better when I personally adjust them.

They're both fantastic regs and both will work great for you. Are you more interested in servicing them yourself or having a shop service them?

I would like to be able to do the service myself. I hate having to mail stuff off to be serviced. My LDS doesn't stock anything, they are very small and only open a few hours, a couple of days a week, so I pretty much have to buy online.

I would like to be able to do the service myself. I hate having to mail stuff off to be serviced. My LDS doesn't stock anything, they are very small and only open a few hours, a couple of days a week, so I pretty much have to buy online.

Atomic service kits can be found for diy, but deep6 is much more geared towards self-service and making everything available to you.

if you want a turret, look at the deep 6 signature. deep 6 scribble is best bang for the buck if you don't need the turret.

I can't imagine I would need a turret, or a swivel for that matter. I don't run doubles and use an AI transmitter, so hose routing is not much of an issue for me.

Talk to your Huish distributor. I'll bet you can get a credit for an upgrade from Aeris to a new Huish product that may make the total price attractive. Oceanic has upgraded the internals on its first stage diaphragms that now make those regs far better than the average they were before. Atomic is...Atomic. Great engineering and manufacturing quality.
From what you describe of your needs, a discount on an Atomic Z-series would be perfect. They are a good value even at list price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom