Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

once on a liveaboard, a few times at restaurants, and frequently with taxis before uber/lyft became commonplace

Do you ever decide a tip is still to be given but in a lesser amount?

Typically four or five dives a day. I've never booked if for myself but it happens on occasion that I am the only one going out so I get a private DM usually in the afternoon, which is nice.

At 4 to 5 dives per day, you are within the fair amount for a tip, since most of us tip on a per tank basis when on day trips, as opposed to live aboards.

@chillyinCanada

I did that with the liveaboard. I tipped lower than my usual for the pooled tip because I thought half the crew were phoning it in and then tipped some of the other crew members separately.

I've done similarly. More often though will gift dive gear, sunglasses or some token to those I have determined more deserving.

This works quite well when in an environment that encourages the main tip box and discourages individual tipping.

I've done this on trips too, not just liveaboards. That said, have also found ways to slip a few extra bucks to more deserving.

By the same token, I'm not going to be overtipping in cultures that don't have tipping.

And why you would is beyond me.

You want to be magnanimous, then make a donation to a charity or animal rescue for that country or something. Don't screw up the economics.

Most of my diving trips are/were in SE Asia ie. non-tipping culture. Lucky me.
Diving equipment(new or used) and apparel are better than cash in most places that I have dived!
LoB is tricky because it involves so many people(from the kitchen to the dive deck).
Land based is a lot easier.
How generous or mean is entirely up to you. I certainly won't lose any sleep if I did not tip at all.

Tip is to be earned.

Most of my diving trips are/were in SE Asia ie. non-tipping culture. Lucky me.
Diving equipment(new or used) and apparel are better than cash in most places that I have dived!
LoB is tricky because it involves so many people(from the kitchen to the dive deck).
Land based is a lot easier.
How generous or mean is entirely up to you. I certainly won't lose any sleep if I did not tip at all.

Tip is to be earned.

Me and the missus were in Fiji for the first time last August. After a 20 minute cab ride which was paid by the resort, I asked the driver if he would be offended if I offered him a tip.

He gave me a sincere smile and said: "It's your culture. I can respect that."

Gotta love Fiji.

i didn't tip the cab drivers in fiji. they all refused to use meters and tried to get 2x to 3x the metered rate as a flat amount.

Do you ever decide a tip is still to be given but in a lesser amount?
I have done this several times in a "good food" but "bad service" situation. But when we took a river cruise a few years ago, the ex-pat cruise director got nothing after he displayed a total lack of professionalism including mocking an elderly passenger.

Back
Top Bottom