D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I can’t get local service for whatever reason, any reason someplace like Reg-Tech, where I would have to send the regulator off to wouldn’t be able to do everything necessary? My dive buddy actually prefers to send his regs off for service. Thanks

Would you consider servicing it yourself? We could all help, it's not hard.

I can wait so service my futur regs myself!! I think it’ll be part of the fun!

If that was my only option, perhaps. I’m pretty mechanically handy (I still have all 10 fingers and toes despite being a woodworker, working on farm equipment and serving as a bomb technician) so I could probably safely manage the work I just wasn’t sure if this was a rabbit hole that I wanted to go down lol.

To put it another way, I have always really liked Scubapro regs, but I really want an environmentally sealed diaphragm first stage for my foray into public safety diving and the instructor that I am likely going with for tech diving has a strong preference for diaphragm regs too. While the Mk17 seems like a fine reg, it doesn’t seem overly noteworthy in the diaphragm regulator category, and the Mk19 seems to be a little bit better. Before switching over more equipment to either Apeks or Poseidon, if I can be happy with a Scubapro offering then that is almost certainly the direction I will go. If the only way that I can go down this road is to service the regs myself then I will do that. I still want to try a Poseidon XStream and possibly an Apeks XTX 200, XTX 50 and MTX on an actual dive but this Scubapro solution may allow for me to keep costs in check while still satisfying my OCD.

As always, thanks to all for the help and information.

There is a YouTube video (or used to be) of servicing a MK-17. Have a look, and see if it is within your interest. It isn't hard. Also, a SP shop should have no issue with servicing any supported SP product....

but again, we can't predict personalities...

If that was my only option, perhaps. I’m pretty mechanically handy (I still have all 10 fingers and toes despite being a woodworker, working on farm equipment and serving as a bomb technician) so I could probably safely manage the work I just wasn’t sure if this was a rabbit hole that I wanted to go down lol.

To put it another way, I have always really liked Scubapro regs, but I really want an environmentally sealed diaphragm first stage for my foray into public safety diving and the instructor that I am likely going with for tech diving has a strong preference for diaphragm regs too. While the Mk17 seems like a fine reg, it doesn’t seem overly noteworthy in the diaphragm regulator category, and the Mk19 seems to be a little bit better. Before switching over more equipment to either Apeks or Poseidon, if I can be happy with a Scubapro offering then that is almost certainly the direction I will go. If the only way that I can go down this road is to service the regs myself then I will do that. I still want to try a Poseidon XStream and possibly an Apeks XTX 200, XTX 50 and MTX on an actual dive but this Scubapro solution may allow for me to keep costs in check while still satisfying my OCD.

As always, thanks to all for the help and information.

Not sure where you got that info amigo, But MK19 is just a MK17 with a turret and a 5th port. MK17 has been proven as a solid and steady work horse. If you are getting into tech diving and want the turret and 5th port for routing then MK19 will be better.

I really enjoy my MK17 and G260 and I am a big fan of that setup. But I am just a recreation diver so I don't have the needs of a tech diver when it comes to port position and hose routing issues.

The only knock about MK17 is the LP and HP positions are all cringed together. MK17 Evo might be a tad bit better.

Just my two pennies.

If you are getting into tech diving and want the turret and 5th port for routing then MK19 will be better.
This is just the question that I am wrestling with right now. I love my Mk17's and my XStreams. But for tech, I have two Deep6 turreted diaphragms mounted just because they make hose routing so much easier. I'm uncomfortable with the tight bends when you have a port facing down, but the hoses have to go left in a 1.5" radius.
But the more I think about it, what's the difference between the added failure point of a turret with its bolt and two orings, versus the added failure point of a single right angle connector to a non-turreted first stage? We're only talking about one hose on each 1st that's having to make that tight bend (necklaced 2nd and wing inflator hoses for standard twinset arrangements).

Vigorous high-flow inhalation again appeared to slightly favor the D420, perhaps due to the shorter flow path, though there may be observer bias. The D400 shuddered slightly on the most vigorous inhalation, suggesting that the Venturi collar needed one more click closed. All four regs breathed extremely well, and any differences on inhalation were subtle.

Vigorous exhalation and hyperventilation clearly favored the D420. Exhalation was noticeably easier on forced exhalation, though the differences were small, except for the D400. Hyperventilation with this reg in the "looking down 30 degrees" position made the increased work of exhalation noticeable. With the (smaller) exhalation valve lowest in the water, this is perhaps not surprising.

Meanwhile, back at the D420 ranch. Apologies to @rsingler ,I got sidetracked with the Doc Ock comment and forgot to thank him for such an excellent compare and contrast of the second stages he tested. The two paragraphs from his post above IMHO are the most interesting and informative. We can all dive regs under the mildest condition, even regs with not so great WOB numbers; but when the conditions require more demanding performance the features present in a high performance second stage become a lot more important.

Nice write-up I would not mind it moved to a new thread all on it's own while we hash out how and where to purchase one with a MK17/18/19/25...While in a chat session at LP, I tried asking if the D420 could be purchased separately or at least an additional D420 octopus included, but I found myself engaged with an Autobot that continued to answer, "Sure-but you'll have to call 1-800-$$$-$$$$ and talk to sales."

While in a chat session at LP, I tried asking if the D420 could be purchased separately or at least an additional D420 octopus included,
I think if we get enough folks asking this question, it could actually move the needle at Scubapro. Let's all ask our LDS's or LeisurePro to call SP, asking for the toy.
Yeah, it'll be separately available eventually, but SP should be thinking about divers interested in the new technology who DON'T need an entire new setup. I think they're too focused on new divers purchasing for the first time, or folks buying an entire new set. I'll certainly be pushing that line with the SP rep at the "new equipment night" at my LDS next week.

I think if we get enough folks asking this question, it could actually move the needle at Scubapro. Let's all ask our LDS's or LeisurePro to call SP, asking for the toy.
Yeah, it'll be separately available eventually, but SP should be thinking about divers interested in the new technology who DON'T need an entire new setup. I think they're too focused on new divers purchasing for the first time, or folks buying an entire new set. I'll certainly be pushing that line with the SP rep at the "new equipment night" at my LDS next week.

I kinda agree with that, even if I’m on the other category! They have to realize that those kind of high end piece of equipment is also a thing for gear enthusiast and cutting themselves from this part of the market seems odd... Scubapro sometimes reminds me (lightly) of Rolex in the way they manage their sales

But MK19 is just a MK17 with a turret and a 5th port.
??!!
The MK19 might be similar to the MK18, but definitely not to the MK17.
They are both dry diaphragm 1sts, but pretty different once......
On the Flow Bench they show (almost) the same values concerning balancing and dynamic IP, given the fact that the MK17 is supposed to have high flow ports a bit surprising....
So the only difference in performance I see is the turret......

Back
Top Bottom