Nitrox certification...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eyegore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I wanna get the endorsement. Any suggestions for best "bang for the buck"? $200.00 seems mighty expensive...

You get what you pay for. I haven’t breathed air in over 20 years. Nitrox is charged by the cubic foot as air is charged by the tank regardless of how much is in the tank.

Happy to compromise and get the endorsement at lower cost, but refuse to compromise and accept anything less than sound instruction.

I guess it makes sense that EAN is billed by volume.

Happy to compromise and get the endorsement at lower cost, but refuse to compromise and accept anything less than sound instruction.

I guess it makes sense that EA is billed by volume.

If you want the math, take the TDI course. If you don’t want/need the math, take your basic PADI/SDI Nitrox course.

My shop wants $280..which I really can't justify. From researching the online certifications, it either looks like they are not reputable or you still have to pay shop fees and card fees which adds up. It seems like "in person" learning will be the cheapest (have seen from $100-$150) if you can find a shop offering the class or do it at a dive vacation destination. Once you go "online learning" you start at $180 and go up from there with the shop fees (mine then wants $100 for "in person" portion plus card).

My shop wants $280..which I really can't justify. From researching the online certifications, it either looks like they are not reputable or you still have to pay shop fees and card fees which adds up. It seems like "in person" learning will be the cheapest (have seen from $100-$150) if you can find a shop offering the class or do it at a dive vacation destination. Once you go "online learning" you start at $180 and go up from there with the shop fees (mine then wants $100 for "in person" portion plus card).

There is NO reputable online only course. You can do elearning, but you still have to go into the shop for review and learning how to analyze a tank.

You’re in California, it wouldn’t surprise me if that factors into why your shop charges $280. People often forget to account for location when surveying others online for prices they paid for the same course.

Is this through your local dive shop? Have you compared prices in your area? While this is a course you can take at a resort or on a boat, most would recommend that you get it out of the way before your dive trip. And presuming that you already have a nitrox ready dive computer, you will generally not have to worry about tables after the course. So, if you don't have too many options and even if $200 is a bit steep, I would bite the bullet and take the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom