My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee. Tough crowd this morning.
Deservedly so.

Marie has shown herself to be willing to ask insightful questions, come to a decision for what works for her, and then tries to share her journey through the process.

There is a certain crowd that simply cannot accept any path but their own and has relentlessly hounded her at every turn. The fact that she firmly and clearly sticks to her guns seems to perversely encourage their never ending, and frequently disrespectful, criticism.

You be you, dive and let dive, whatever one wants to call it, in the end it simply respect for personal responsibility and agency.

Pools where drysuits are allowed are hard to find here that’s the reason we do everything in open water. Still the first or first few dives of a course are in a undeep sand quarry, the only difference with a pool is that it’s 5 degrees atm and the vis is like 2/3M mostly. So I don’t see the problem with choosing for some more comfort and warmth of a pool...

Also for practise with buddy’s we go to those locations to keep gas switches and bottle rotations memorised. Ofcourse you can’t practise ascents but that you do when you have the time to go somewhere else

Have fun with the course Marie. The dives should be great, the math is awesome.

I'm just waiting for the next round where people say skills taught on land have no relevance to actual deco diving...

For those still having difficulty grasping the concept: Land and pool time does not replace open water time. These skills still need to be properly performed in open water at the appropriate depths.

Marie, what is your plan for the Hume? I have a feeling you already have it planned out when you're doing the big dive after you finish your course. I hope to make it to the Hume in a few years after I get some more experience and then get the necessary certifications.

What does a dive to the Hume look like in terms of Gases, bottom time, and deco stops?

Kudos on posting your plans and hopefully your progress.

I was fortunate in having 40 Fathom Grotto nearby when I did my AN (called Technical Nitrox by IANTD), Deep Air and Trimix classes. The vis was always good and there are many suspended platforms at different depths to practice skills on. The water is mid/upper 60s most of the year. It was nice to be able to cycle thru skills without the surge and current before doing it on a boat. The first time offshore on my boat with multiple doubles and stages was quite a bit different but at least I wasn't struggling with familiarity of gear etc..

Marie, what is your plan for the Hume? I have a feeling you already have it planned out when you're doing the big dive after you finish your course. I hope to make it to the Hume in a few years after I get some more experience and then get the necessary certifications.

What does a dive to the Hume look like in terms of Gases, bottom time, and deco stops?

This is just an example from playing with MultiDeco. I’ll have a better example after doing my classroom for the course. Instructor knows the Hume is my first goal following class, so we’ll be specifically addressing her during class, including working up to 20 minutes bottom time and the deco that goes along with that.

I have a few buddies who’ve said to let them know when I want to do the Hume. They’ll be there if their schedule permits. That includes buddies from elsewhere on the Great Lakes. :D

I have charters I’ve won that I’m saving for the Hume!

192592B8-8831-403F-A678-8140248224A8.png

Pools where drysuits are allowed are hard to find here that’s the reason we do everything in open water. Still the first or first few dives of a course are in a undeep sand quarry, the only difference with a pool is that it’s 5 degrees atm and the vis is like 2/3M mostly. So I don’t see the problem with choosing for some more comfort and warmth of a pool...

Also for practise with buddy’s we go to those locations to keep gas switches and bottle rotations memorised. Ofcourse you can’t practise ascents but that you do when you have the time to go somewhere else

Have fun with the course Marie. The dives should be great, the math is awesome.

My shop rents lanes at a large municipal indoor pool. We’re in the pool with drysuits all the time. My shop’s OW instructors even gives lessons to the lifeguards several times a year on how to rescue a diver in full gear. There is always open swim going on in the other lanes when we’re in the pool.

Math, meh.

Yep, I totally get it and I perceive fresh water technical dives are just as legitimate as salt water technical dives.

Perceive? You don’t get this lovely lady in salt water. Thomas Hume, triple masted wooden schooner (132ft long) which sank in May 1891 during a storm in Lake Michigan. She ran lumber between Muskegon, MI and Chicago. 150ft deep. All three masts are still on the wreck, however, they are unstepped and are laying across the rails. Cargo hold is wide open and empty and you can swim the length of her inside.

1FC2B44D-D1D0-48C4-AF54-423607DA5AE5.jpeg

Perceive? You don’t get this lovely lady in salt water. Thomas Hume, triple masted wooden schooner (132ft long) which sank in May 1891 during a storm in Lake Michigan. She ran lumber between Muskegon, MI and Chicago. 150ft deep. All three masts are still on the wreck, however, they are unstepped and are laying across the rails. Cargo hold is wide open and empty and you can swim the length of her inside.

That is extremely cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom