My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not Jim, but I have done a lot of pool practice for developing my own skills, plus some pool time in classes.

YMMV, but I like to take all my usual gear into the pool and wear my usual undergarment layers and dry gloves. Yes it looks ridiculous and I get a bunch of stares and questions. But, I struggled a LOT with my valve drill. I used the pool to practice that, and it's easier with fewer undergarments, without gloves, and if you're using thinner tanks (like the 72s I use for shore dives) vs the 100s I use for boat diving, because the 72s are just that much closer to my back. So I always gear up for the pool just like I do for the ocean. Because it makes sense to practice something how you need to be able to do it, if it's possible.

It made for some very sweaty dives this summer at the indoor pool that's 80 degrees and humid. But I generally tolerate heat better than cold, and I got through it, and after a lot of practice, I got that valve drill down. It also helps to wear the type of gloves you'll use in the class. It's way easier to clip things on and off with no gloves on, but realistically in the ocean around here, I'll always have dry gloves on, so yep, wool liners and dry gloves in the pool, too.

Just my 2c. I've found pool training to really be helpful for me personally. I practice skills on ocean dives too sometimes (ok, maybe lots of times), but nothing beats a solid hour of just working on whatever you're weak on in the pool when you are trying to acquire and refine new skills.

Can you believe we're on Page 11 and we haven't even gotten in the pool yet? @Marie13 sure does know how to post a thread that's popular!

For Lake Huron diving off the tip of the thumb, Michigan Diver runs trips, though usually chartered through various dive shops. They have fills (including Trimix). I believe they have rentals, though not as sure about that. @BoneCrusher and his wife are avid tech and rebreather divers, so I’m sure they can help.

I think how people learn the technicalities of diving is entirely up to what their comfortable with and really doesn’t make a bit of difference once they practice what they’ve learnt in the greatest variety of sea and water conditions as possible.

I’d die in my heavy undersuit in an 80F pool. I already run hot and add the hot flashes on top of that, oh boy, would I be cranky!

@laikabear

:D pool is tomorrow

I dove dry for years but finally decided to take the class a couple months ago. For pool session they had us in the same undergarments we use in the 38 degree ocean..... A quick trip to the New England outside helps a lot.

Let us know how tommorow goes.

I dove dry for years but finally decided to take the class a couple months ago. For pool session they had us in the same undergarments we use in the 38 degree ocean..... A quick trip to the New England outside helps a lot.

Let us know how tommorow goes.

Will do!

I’ve got enough diving time in my drysuit and heavy undies that deviating from them for a couple of pool sessions won’t hurt.

Pool time is great. Like anything else, it's a very useful tool. It's not a replacement for real in-water time, but I've used pool time before courses, as equipment check-out dives, hell, even as a fun way to spend an afternoon. I've done everything from monkey diving in board shorts to full on CCR with a full hypoxic deco bottle complement in a pool and everything in between because it's valuable time in a controlled environment.

Pool work can be a very important part of an educational progression.

quarries, Blue Heron Bridge, springs, etc. all count as pool time. What I don't think you can do is teach a class like ANDP 100% off of a charter boat since it is a course where you are introducing new skills. Same with courses like fundies. Those are not what I'd considered advanced courses like normoxic/trimix where there really aren't any "new skills" being introduced. ANDP is the first time you're handling bottles and gas switches and you don't benefit by being on a wreck or anything in that course.

Charter boats is how I did mine and it was fine. You don't benefit by being on a wreck but that does not mean it's detrimental either. As long as the current is not ripping and vis is good, there is no real difference between the sand at blue heron bridge or the sand next to a wreck, or even the deck of it. The vis on the wrecks is usually way better than BHB anyway.

Will do!

I’ve got enough diving time in my drysuit and heavy undies that deviating from them for a couple of pool sessions won’t hurt.

I agree. Just keep in mind why it all seemed easier today than it usually does! :)

A FB memory popped up from a year ago - my first doubles dive in the pool.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom