Teric Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The computer and transmitter are only 2 months old. When it failed the first time at the testing pool at the LDS, they changed the transmitter battery. No good. Then they provided a new transmitter. No good. The attached image is what I got even after a new transmitter. The computer is at Shearwater for repair. I just don't have faith in it any longer and have buyer's remorse.View attachment 560981
You do realize that if the transmitter is not attached to a tank with the valve open (as in the picture), it will not be on/transmitting, right?

In any event, all electronics can fail, regardless of QC. Give Shearwater a chance to correct this - I have found them (and there US service center - DiveTronix) to have amazing customer service. My 2 interactions were super smooth - you can actually talk to folks on the phone and they’ll even call you back rather than communicate via e-mail - rare these days.

My yellow transmitter was recalled and they replaced super fast and kept me aware of timing throughout the process.

More recently, my 1.5 year old Teric seemed to have high battery drain in storage. I spoke to someone at SW and they had me do a discharge test and then had me send it in to DiveTronix. I received the unit back about 1 week later (this during Christmas week) in a new storage case (so now have an extra). They also brought the unit up to current Mfg spec - which essentially means they only reused the housing/case - virtually everything else is brand new. All of this at zero cost to me. How many companies operate like that these days?

Don’t be discouraged - it’s a great DC from a great company - I have no doubt that they will make it right for you!

Yes, I showed the photo of the computer and transmitter on the desk of the LDS after if failed in the test dive. Of course it failed when the transmitter was attached to the first stage, I was kitted up and in 9 feet of water. I took this photo so I could remember the warning it showed before we sent it back to Shearwater.
I didn't post for help diagnosing. I just wondered if others in the community have a Teric and have had such a catastrophic experience. This is a brand new unit.

Yes, I showed the photo of the computer and transmitter on the desk of the LDS after if failed in the test dive. Of course it failed when the transmitter was attached to the first stage, I was kitted up and in 9 feet of water. I took this photo so I could remember the warning it showed before we sent it back to Shearwater.
I didn't post for help diagnosing. I just wondered if others in the community have a Teric and have had such a catastrophic experience. This is a brand new unit.
Based on feedback here, your experience seems to be an anomaly. I do find it strange that you seem to have switched back to the watch screen but still have the lost comms message showing.

Did it ever work or did it go straight to the lost comms error?

Based on feedback here, your experience seems to be an anomaly. I do find it strange that you seem to have switched back to the watch screen but still have the lost comms message showing.

Did it ever work or did it go straight to the lost comms error?
It worked for about 7 minutes in the test dive. It had worked when we hooked my reg to a pressurized compressor in the LDS workbench. Shearwater has it and is sending back after they said they reinstalled the firmware and depth sensor. I think it will take some time for me to feel comfortable with this as a primary DC, and I certainly will have a backup SPG until this proves reliable.
My old trusty Suunto Zoop worked like a champ right out of the box...maybe I should have stuck with that than the allure of a pricey new bug-ridden DC. :(

This may be to late but if you felt directly with SW this would probably been handled much faster. Try contacting them directly even if the LDS says they have it.

On the odd chance that it’s the transmitter have you tested it with another computer?

This may be to late but if you felt directly with SW this would probably been handled much faster. Try contacting them directly even if the LDS says they have it.

On the odd chance that it’s the transmitter have you tested it with another computer?
I haven't but the DC failed even after the transmitter was replaced.

Here is my path with the Teric, my first one started the draining power thing, they sent a new one, after about 6 months of use it started that again, this time I asked to not get a new one just change the battery which they did and the pressure sensor (never had an issue) and I had it back in 5 days I think. I also have a second one that I bought used and I don’t use it much.

What I have changed since the second battery issue is I no longer use the flat charger, I only use the supplied one and I don’t keep it charged, I had last charged it before diving dec. 29th and have not charged it sense, I have almost 7 hours of dive time on that charge and it shows 54% right now! I don’t use it as a watch and turn it off with the light off button. I dive it on the high setting and compass is on, I don’t use the floating arrow but the heading is always on the display, I find this the most useful.

While traveling I use it as a watch but since getting the D6 computer I will probably use that as a travel watch, the LCD display isn’t as showy as the LED of the Teric.

SW is the best dive equipment company I have ever dealt with, probably the best in all fields.

I wish you'd refer to Excursion rather than D6, since the D6 is made by Suunto. :)
Right you are, or is it “was” made by Suunto? I alway default to squirrel since I think of huge Ford when I think excursion.

It worked for about 7 minutes in the test dive. It had worked when we hooked my reg to a pressurized compressor in the LDS workbench. Shearwater has it and is sending back after they said they reinstalled the firmware and depth sensor. I think it will take some time for me to feel comfortable with this as a primary DC, and I certainly will have a backup SPG until this proves reliable.
My old trusty Suunto Zoop worked like a champ right out of the box...maybe I should have stuck with that than the allure of a pricey new bug-ridden DC. :(
I think you are being a little disingenuous in calling the Teric a pricey, bug- ridden DC. Your personal experience with a single unit that may have an issue is hardly reason to call it that - especially when Shearwater is fixing it. BTW, if you actually read the manual, you will see that Shearwater recommends a backup SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom