Which Apeks first stages for tech back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the versions, such as DST, that lack a removable HP seat this is not a major problem. It is rare to damage the seat and, even if you do, a service tech can, 99 times out of a 100, use the Apeks HP seat polishing tool to restore the seat to normal.
^^^^THIS.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to show it, but what @Hickdive said is correct. Few days ago I received a DST for service. After opening it, my first step was to call the owner to come over to show him inside of his reg. It was bad. At some point, quite some time ago, it got salt water inside, on top of that, dirty salt water. I have no idea how that regulator managed to lock up. After some discussion, I agreed to do a service, with caveat of no guarantee on results. I had to polish that seat three times, but it works fine now.
I did not perform a lot of services at this point, but this was the first reg that required seat polish, so don't think that replaceable seat should be big point in your decision loop.

Other than the ridiculous numbers of Apeks seat failures over the last 2 years. Their new material is awful.
Why is Apeks doing that? Is it just "the English way"?

Polish off the rust is a short remedy, it will return eventually. ARCAP is a better solution but only find in FSR.

I have 6 DSTs that are more than 20 years old. No issues at all. Although I do keep a couple reg bodies for spare just in case.

I've been using the service kits from North East Scuba. I'm pretty sure they are aftermarket. I haven't had any issues.

Another vote for DST with 5th port. Really I dont know why you would even consider any other regs. The DST IMO is the best reg on the market for twins or sidemount. Very reliable, very easy to service, aside for in the US I think Apeks regs are the gold standard for tec diving around the world. There is a reason why everyone has basically copied the DST; Tecline, TDS, HOG, etc.

. Really I dont know why you would even consider any other regs. .

I absolutely hate my apeks regs. I’m a life long scuba pro user and my wife and I last year got rebreathers that come with apeks regs. We both hate them. First main thing is compared to any sp reg we’ve ever had (about 25ish), the apeks din’s are hard to seat in the valve. The sp regs just screw right on. The apeks constantly have to be jiggled and adjusted while screwing on because the cross thread and lock up. It’s all 4 regs on varied valves. The din face also doesn’t like to hold an oring. After every dive at least one pops off. I was told originally the apeks o rings suck so an apeks tech gave me replacements. Same problem continues. I finally found some of the really good sp polyurethane o rings and have had success. On top of that I’ve known several people who have had hp seat failures in the last year.
Since getting the apeks they’ve been nothing but annoying. They’re currently being replace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom