Lights and heaters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
So it is time I get a real dive light. I have progressed through years of different lights. The current survivor is the DRIS house branded 3-cell light. I think it is advertised at 1,000 Lumen, has a fairly good beam, has served me in the transition into technical dives. But now the dives are getting deeper, darker, signaling is necessary. It's time to look at some lights with some power behind them.

On top of that the deeper and longer dives also add in cold as a factor. I can layer up but at some point the bulk doesn't add to the duration just to overheating on the surface. So I am also looking at heated undergarments. Mostly to take the chill off while hanging on deco as that is where I tend to feel it the most and really during deco is when you want to be warm for that blood circulation.

I don't want to say one stop shopping, but thinking of at least compatible. I see Light Monkey sells both. What are my other options? Doesn't have to be a single brand, but compatible stuff. I'm starting with a clean slate for this. Probably E/O plugs and canister batteries. I know I don't want batteries sealed inside the drysuit with me.

And while I am on lights, what about secondary beam patterns? The primary beam is a narrow spot, 8° is pretty common. But there is a lot of variation on the secondary pattern. Looking at the beam patterns of these photos I stole off the internet explains it.
upload_2020-1-12_11-11-0.png

as compared to
upload_2020-1-12_11-13-18.png

I never see that talked about. Any thoughts on it? Is one better or worse in different situations? A broader pattern feels like it could give a little better big picture but maybe worse in dirty water? I don't know, that's why I ask.

I dive uwld light/heat controller. I just upgraded my heat controller and battery to tall as my dives are running longer on my rebreather. The product is topnotch and support from Bobby is the best,

UWLD is a far better option. Their lights are better, batteries are better, heat controllers are better, etc etc.

@Bobby really is the best, and his products are just as good as he is.

Any uwld comparable products from EU manufacturers? So expensive to import from US.

Considering what you are starting from...
How much light burntime are you wanting? 4 hours is a minimum for most cave diving
How much heat are you wanting to add and over how long?

Not sure about the great big wide world but I would say most people start with a decent light and then add heat by picking up an older light can later. Its dirt simple to swap out something like a Diverite 4.5Ah nimh can to 100Wh lithium ion for 2-3hrs of heat.

Check out the Polish Ammonite. They do make batteries, which are designed to use with both light and heated vest. Some very respected divers speak highly of their lights.

Not doing caves, wreck mostly. Generally 2-3 hour time. I've done plenty of dives without a heater. I have a closet full of undergarments. Plenty invested in 4th element and Wenzel. I have never needed a heater, but there have been times where I would like to have had a little heat at the end. Not planning on using it for primary warmth.

UWLD is one that I knew of, just didn't come to mind when doing research. Need to spend some time looking around.
I'm just trying to plan stuff up front since I have the blank slate in front of me and not tied into anything, yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom